Ch. 20 Santuary

{ P E R R I E }

I woke up the next morning to the high pitched beeping of my alarm clock. I checked the time – 5.30. I lifted my head slightly, only to see that Jade's arm was loosely draped around my neck, the other resting on my waist. I smiled and pecked her cheek. I decided to go on a little adventure before the other girls woke up. I slipped outside, breathing in the cool morning air. I walked around the house and found the trail I'd seen last night. I followed it, letting my mind wander. All I could hear was my feet on the dirt path and the occasional bird. I was at peace.

***

I'd been walking for about thirty minutes when I stumbled upon a small stream. I was curious, and began to follow it. I gasped when I looked up and saw a magnificent sanctuary, right in the middle of the woods. I stepped closer and saw that the water was a beautiful blue-green. I sighed and sat down, kicking off my converse. I dipped my feet in the water, cooling off my hot feet. I laid back on the grass and let the lovely sound of rushing water slowly lull me to sleep.

     ***

I woke up when I felt something small run across my stomach. I screamed and jumped up, looking around. I realized it was just a squirrel and started to laugh. Then I realized it was brighter than it had been when I had left. The sun had risen. How long have I been out? I shook my head and slipped my shoes back on, vowing to return with the girls later. I turned back up the trail, and started to walk back in the direction I had come.

  ***

I started to tip toe as I got closer to the house. I opened the door wide enough for me to slip inside, cutting through the kitchen to run to my room.

"Ahem," someone cleared their throat behind me. I winced, slooooowly turning around to see two amused faces and one worried one sitting at the table.

"Erm, good morning," I said, taking a couple small steps back. Before anyone could reply, Jade had her arms around me, rubbing my back. "Um, hey baba," I murmured into her shirt. She grabbed my shoulders and pulled away, looking me in the eyes.

"I thought I lost you," she whispered. My eyes went big.

"I just went for a walk. I saw a trail and thought I'd explore," I consoled, pecking her cheek. She nodded and I looked over her shoulder at the girls who were watching us.

"She woke us up at 7.30, freaking out," Leigh glared, laying her head back in her hands. I giggled and tapped Jade on the shoulder.

"I'm sorry, baba. I'll go and get changed then I'll come and give you a kiss, okay?" I said. Jade face relaxed and she nodded.

***

I stepped out of the shower and put on some tights and my top with a snapback on it. The girls were still at the kitchen table.

"VICTORY IS MINE!" Leigh cried, jumping on me and before I knew it, she had her legs wrapped around my waist, my hands automatically went under her bum for support.

"Um, what's going on?" I asked, still carrying Leigh. She ignored me and kept shouting. I looked down, remembering my shirt and laughed. I was still holding Leigh – she was surprisingly light. I walked over to where the other two girls were, Jesy was stifling giggles. Jade had her arms folded over her chest. I blew her a kiss. She relaxed, until Leigh started placing kisses all over my cheeks. Jesy laughed harder at my discomfort. Then she cleared her throat.

"Perrie, how are you carrying her?" she asked. Jade gasped a little when she realized that Leigh's feet were locked around my back. I shrugged.

"She's pretty light."