Unfair in Love and War (Part 1)

I awoke from a well deserved nap to some strange call for help. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. Who was calling me? I couldn't understand a word of what they were saying. I felt something shake within me as I got out of bed. And, the call ended. I looked over to where Alastair was curled up in the corner of my room.

"It's okay, boy. Stay here." I said. He set his head back down as I opened my room door and saw Castiel coming down the hall. "Castiel? Did you hear that?" I asked. He stopped and looked at me. He decided something and turned to face me fully.

"Do you know the name Benjamin? Did you mother ever mention him?" He asked. I thought long and hard. I shook my head. "Let me..." Castiel placed a hand on my head and I was suddenly thrown back to my old house.

I was smaller, looking through my parents room. I found a photo and looked back at my mom, who was lounging on the bed.

"Momma who're they?" I asked, holding the picture out to her. She pulled me onto her lap to look with me.

"Oh... some of mommy's..." I looked at her when she hesitated. "Friends." She finally said. "Castiel, Benjamin, Ishim, Mirabel..." she trailed off staring at the picture. "Old, old, friends, Nelly." She kissed the top of my head. "Why are you digging around here anyway?" She asked with a chuckle, handing the picture back to me.

"Wanna know about you and dad." I admitted with a bright smile. My mother laughed and squeezed me tight, making me laugh.

"All you need to know is that we love you very much." She rested her head on mine.

I came too when Castiel pulled his hand away.

"I think you should come with me." Castiel said. "I may... need your help." I blinked, it wasn't often that Castiel came to me for something. In fact, this was the first time it had ever happened. So I nodded.

"I think I should go with you too." I said, following him right into the main hall, where Sam and Dean were talking. Their talking ceased. That's when I remembered.

Dean and Castiel were having a little... lovers tiff.

Castiel immediately defended himself. Himself, and me.

"We were doing the right thing." He snapped. Dean rolled his eyes, then looked at me.

"What are you doing? Did I say you were grounded?" He crossed his arms.

"Normal kids don't get grounded for invoking cosmic consequences." I crossed my arms.

"Normal kids don't invoke cosmic consequences!" Dean shot.

"I un-grounded her." Castiel said. Dean blinked when Castiel walked by him.

"You can't do that!" He snapped when I followed. He looked to Sam. "Tell him he can't do that!" Sam let out a long sigh.

"We have to go." Castiel said, looking back.

"We?" Dean looked back to him and I.

"This involves my mom, Dean." I said. Dean looked to Castiel.

Castiel sighed.

"An angel Saraquel and I used to... work with. Benjamin. He was calling out for help. He's not the type of person to put himself in danger." Castiel explained. "I have to know if he's okay. He was calling out, then... he suddenly stopped."

"Okay. Then we'll go with you." Sam stood.

"Both of you?" I crossed my arms as Castiel and I looked to Dean, who wasn't looking at either of us.

"Yes. Both of us. Fine." Dean sighed.

The car ride was quiet. Very, very quiet. No music. No talking. I sat in the back with Castiel, who simply stared out the window. Dean stared straight ahead. Sam shifted uncomfortably in his seat and cleared his throat, moving hair from his face.

"Who wants some music?" He asked.

"I-"

"I'm fine." Dean cut me off. Sam and I both fell back into our seats. There was another, agonizing silence.

"Cas, what can you tell us about Benjamin?" Sam asked. Castiel said nothing.

"What else do we need to know? Cas say's he's careful. I bet he would never do somehting like... Oh, invoke cosmic consequences." Dean said.

"You know what I like about Benjamin is that he was sarcastic, but appreciative and understanding." Castiel crossed his arms.

"Oh he speaks!" Dean looked back.

"Dean the road!" Sam yelled. I lost it.

"You're both acting ridiculous!" I snapped.

The car was quiet again before Sam let out a sigh.

"I just think we should at least know what we're walking into. Okay?" He looked back to Castiel. And so Castiel talked. He talked about Benjamin. How he had fought along side him for as long as he could remember. How Benjamin's vessel was his best friend. Benjamin would never let any harm come to her. We were on our way to the scene of the crime. Then, we would go to meet Ishim and Mirabel. But Ishim was only aware that Castiel and I were going to be coming. So Sam and Dean would have to wait by the car for that.

But, after Castiel was done. The car fell into that sanity breaking silence again.