A Gift For Me

I opened my eyes and I was on the couch alone. Something in the kitchen smelled good. Smelled so good. I heard the noise of a TV. I heard loud, obnoxious snoring. I pushed myself up and looked over, my dad was passed out, head back, eyes closed, mouth open, very much asleep. I heard laughing and looked out into the kitchen. Amelia was there, scampering around after the cat.My mom laughed as well, I saw her glide around the child and place something on the table. I felt tears well up in my eyes.

"Dad." I muttered. There was just a snore. I wiped my eyes and sniffled. I saw my mom become alert. She looked into the living room.

"Nelly?" She moved into the room, stepping over my dad's legs to get to me. "Your crying. What's wrong?" She asked, sitting next to me. I swallowed hard and hugged her tightly. "Nellwyn?" She muttered, hugging me back. "Was it a nightmare?" She asked.

I was sobbing now.

"Yes. Yes the worst kind." I buried my face in her shoulder. I felt small arms hug me from behind. I looked back and saw Amelia there. I put an arm around her and pulled her close, kissing the top of her head, her forehead, her cheek.

"Nell?" She looked up at me with sadness that mirrored my own.

"What's going on?" My dad yawned. And I let out a laugh. I started laughing through my loud crying.

"What's wrong?" My mother asked.

"Nothing." I wiped my face and hugged them both. "Absolutely nothing." I sighed, tears still falling.

"I smell grub." My dad grunted and stood.

"Yeah... yeah." My mom pulled away from me and put her hands on my face, kissing my forehead lovingly. "Are you hungry?" She asked.

"Food!" Amelia hopped off the couch cheering.

"Food!" My dad laughed when Amelia grabbed his arm and pulled him along behind her.

I wiped my eyes.

"Nellwyn? Do you want anything?" My mom asked. I watched my Dad and sister rampage the kitchen, eating now, playing about, joking around. I looked back to my mom, who had settled on the couch next to me. I moved closer to her. She laid down and I laid on top of her and rested my head on her chest. She ran her fingers through my hair.

"This. I want to stay just like this. Just for a little while until I have to go." I muttered, crying still.

"Go? Go where?" My mom asked. There was a crash in the kitchen.

"Amy!" My mom yelled.

"It was Daddy!" Amelia called.

"Ruben!" My mom yelled.

"What?" My dad called back, laughing. My mom chuckled and shook her head. She looked back at me.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"Somewhere... far away from you..." I nuzzled closer.

"You're scaring me, dear." She said, looking me in the eyes.

"Oh mom..." I sniffled. "I miss you so much. I wish I could tell you everything." I buried my head back in her.

"I would never let something hurt you. You hear me Nelly? Don't get all worried. I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you." She kissed the top of my head.

I must have laid there for hours,listening to everything around me. The noises of my old life. The smells. The sights. The feelings. I must have laid there for hours.

And then I was in a light, calming space, I hastily wiped my eyes and looked around, then, in front of me, was a boy I had never seen before. He offered a friendly smile and his eyes glowed with a beat of bright yellow. I swallowed and nodded at him, he nodded back at me and stepped to stand next to me, the scene in front of me was one of my family and I eating, laughing, joking around in the living room. I smiled and felt a hand grasp mine. I looked at the boy.

"I want you to be happy. Just like you were then." He said quietly, the voice didn't come from him, it was echoing in my mind. I didn't say anything back, and watched the scene play out for a long while before I was back in the present day.

"Thank you..." I muttered to Kelly and her child. I sat up.

"We should... keep building that crib... and... and we need to buy some things. I went shopping with my mom for baby stuff before she had my sister. So... So I think I know what we need." I wiped my eyes and Kelly nodded.

"Nellwyn. You're wonderful, you really are." She said, leaning forward and kissing the top of my head.

  "Thanks." I smiled.