[39] It Always Hurts

May TRIGGER anyone due to insecurity and/or self-loathe.

Tuesday - February 14 (Ro'Meave Residence)

Zane's P.O.V.

I wasn't going to do my homework. I wasn't going to study for my Calculus test. I'm not even sure if I want to go to school tomorrow.

Maybe I could just tell Mom and Dad that I'm sick, and Garroth nor Vylad will bother talking to me or noticing something's wrong.

After all, when did they ever notice something's wrong with me?

But, hey! Typical emo high school kid life, am I right?

I let out another muffled sob as I continued to hide under my sheets, tissue papers and a tissue box beside me. I made sure to change, though, since my uniform made me feel cramped-up more than I was already feeling.

I don't even want to know how many times I heard Vylad call out my name or Mom knock on my door asking me if I was fine.

I just hope they thought it was my usual Valentine's Day gloom, where I stay in my room for the rest of the afternoon on Valentine's Day.

I mean, it isn't very different but now... I'm staying inside because I didn't want anyone seeing how miserable and pathetic I am.

After all, who would like me? Who would like Zane Ro'Meave? Pale, boring, emo, moody, masked, invisible.

They probably just know me as the younger brother of one of Phoenix Drop High's most popular students, Garroth. Or the older brother of the sweet, adorable 17-year-old Vylad.

I tried to avoid anything and everything that reminds me of her...

But my whole being revolves around her.

And with that, I sobbed more; tears streaming down my face at how foolish I was to think that she, out of all people, would like me back.

The lights were closed and my curtains were shut, the air conditioner was on and my whole comforter was on top of me. A heck-ton of tissues enveloping me as I can't even stop the tears from flowing.

"Zane, honey... Please come out, I want to know if you're fine."

I'm not fine.

"Did something happen to you today? Your curtains are closed, and I'm worried."

A lot of things happened, Mom.

"Please, please tell me what's going on, I don't want to see my ZuZu getting hurt..."

I would have blushed at the nickname on a normal day... but right now, all the blood was rushed out of me... making me paler and uglier than I already am.

"Alright... Honey, just go out if you're ready. For me, at least,"

I nodded. Even though I knew she wouldn't see me doing it.

No one sees me.

I have this whole mysterious facade that I intended on keeping... but just in a few months, she broke it down without even breaking a sweat.