8.

September 26, 2017

Moni.

I was just now getting to my office and settling in to start my work day off great. My first day here at the mission it was really chill so far and now that I got the hang of things it's real busy. I'm like co CEO as Amanda or Trav would say, so that's what I'm referred to as around here. We all three play a big role in New Orleans in so many ways its crazy, it's like we're the helping hand for the city. Everyday I see the struggle of others and what they need help in, so I can't act blind to their needs. Yeah, tons of bullshit has happened to me in my seventeen years of life, but I'm not alone in this world. In some aspects of life I got it way better than others and I can only give thanks to God for that.

When I started working at the mission with two folks I call my friends, I evaluated my whole existence here on Earth. I noticed that I need to get back with God fully, regardless of what I'm currently going through and I plan on getting back in touch soon.

My hours are from 7:30am until 6pm, but sometimes I can get off around 9 or 10 at night. Amanda and Trav, they wouldn't dare try to overwork me since I'm only seventeen, but I assured them I'm down for anything. I choose to work consistently because that's my preference and I love my new job that much. I love how I can talk to folks about getting them the help they need. I love giving out free meals around 12pm. I love reading to the younger kids at the daycare we have here. At the end of the day, I have seen more than one person with a genuine smile. It brings joy to myself and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I haven't spoke to August in a couple days ago, but I know he is good because Trav told me he talked to him recently. It still wouldn't hurt to check up on him though, I mean, he is my best friend now. I couldn't even register it the day after he said that because it's crazy how fast he let me in on his team, it's just a "wow" type of feeling. You feel me?

We don't know each other like that, I mean, it's only been close to a month that I even knew an August existed. He said none of that matters when it comes to our situation. He said as long as I got him, he got me too and let time do the rest...whatever that means who knows?

I'm grateful for this type of "protection" he is given me, but I just don't want him to get hurt, while trying to look out for me. I never had a guy figure make sure I'm secure whenever they were around. I mean, of course I had my dad, but that was before he started to consume all the drugs and liquor that he could get his hands on. I barely even remember who that person was because it's been so long. When my dad started getting into being a junky and a pipe head he lost a grip of what a dad actually is meant to be for. Matter fact, he lost grip of his whole life and he went through his own self destruct and that's why he is no longer alive.

Anyway, it's time for me to go help out in the kitchen for breakfast, so I grabbed my coffee mug and headed towards that part of the mission.

"Hey Ms.Moni!" Someone greeted cheerily. I gazed around and on my left stood George greeting me as I walked by him. George was a man I met leaving out from work one day. It is currently in mid September so it's chilly and he didn't have no type of warmth just a dingy, thin tank top while he was standing outside the building. I couldn't really let him in until the next day because we were filled up on people. Instead, I gave him my Nike sweatshirt, which he could fit because he is actually small for a man.

"Hey George, how you doing this morning?"

"Oh I'm fine, you look beautiful today Ms.Moni."

"Thank you George, you hungry?"

He nodded.

"Well come on we are about to put the meals together for breakfast that's actually where I was headed, you can follow me."