The Morning after the Nightmare (4/5) - R

"Gold!" the other one shouted, leaping to her, and shaking her body.

To his shock, it didn't wake her up as it usually did.

"Snap out of it! Can you hear me?"

He shook Gold's body more, but to no avail. Her body shivered, from her throat were coming screeching yelps, and her blue eyes were unfocused. This state lasted for several long seconds before her body collapsed, turning wobbly and lifeless.

"Gold! Gold! Can you hear me?" Silver quickly took her into his arms.

His partner only caught her head, curling up. Experiencing the horrible events done by demons was never a nice sight, but this one must have been extremely hellish.

"It's alright. It's gone now," Gold whispered with trembling voice.

He gently caressed her in his arms, feeling her body was still shivering.

"I... I'm fine," she softly spoke after another minute.

She slowly got up from his embrace, standing weakly on her legs. She could still feel her inners being squeezed by ice-cold grasp.

"What... did you see?" he asked after a while.

Gold clenched her fists and bared her teeth. Silver never saw her to do it.

"It was horrible... there was darkness everywhere... it covered everything... That priest... that small demon... there was another fiend... it was bigger and scarier than anything we have ever encountered."

She took a deep breath, trying to calm down her shaking voice.

"Both demons fought... the small one lost... I think it's dead now."

She again pressed her temple. "The priest was here too... the bigger demon devoured him."

The Toucan-beige quills were swaying from one side to another, as she shook her head. She knew there was more to remember.

"That's enough," Silver interrupted her. "I already understand what happened here. It went probably like this – The boy ran here in order to hide, the small demon arrived as well, but both were unaware there was a lot bigger threat nearby. The demons fought over the child, and the small one was killed in the process. We can assume it was eaten as well together with the child."

"What about the priest?" She made a few uncertain steps toward a suitable sitting place.

Silver pondered about it a bit, walking in a short line back and forth.

"He survived the first battle, which is a miracle, and pursued the small demon here. But he was surprised to find here a stronger fiend. He is possibly dead too. That demon... no, it might have been a devil, was too strong for him."

The silver hedgehog shivered. 'Maybe even I would have a hard time dealing with it.'

He cleared his throat. "In any case, you take a rest, I shall search this place for more clues."

Gold did that gladly; this event left her largely drained, so she picked a nice spot on a big iron pipe. Before sitting, she cleaned that place a bit. It was true that not just once had they needed new clothes when their mission was over, but if she could avoid it, she gladly did it.

Silver checked the ground, and since he didn't find anything interesting, he decided to move to higher areas. His body glowed with bluish aura and was lifted into air soaring.

Yes, he was able to fly, not with wings but with his mind. He was psychic, and with his power, he could grab any object he wanted, toss it or crush it with a simple thought. He was using it to eliminate the Lord's enemies.

'The battle here must have been intense. It's a shame Gold couldn't see everything clearly. It would give us more answers.'

He landed on one platform. He needed only ten seconds to glance it over. When he was about to continue higher, his eyes caught sight of something shiny.

'What's that?'

He came closer, picking it up. "A silver gun?"

He carefully examined it, noticing it was slashed and had an engraved text on it.

"This must have belonged to that priest!" He started to think while walking to his death.

No, he used his mind to hold him in the air while he was walking down like there were stairs.

"What did you find?" the golden medium asked him, surprised he was back so soon.

Silver showed her the gun.

"This puts a new light on my theory. The priest probably fought with the small demon, and the second demon used it to its advantage, killing them both."

"Why wasting energy when one can do the dirty job for you, right?" noted Gold the most famous tactic used by demons.

"With this gun, it's obvious he was one of us."

He looked at the scratched text 'I believe in you'.

For a second, his mind pondered about the person who engraved it, but it was soon pushed away as useless information.

However, now it was clear, why that priest survived being buried alive, he must have been at least an A-class agent.

"Let's go find out more about him, the branch office here will have copies of his reports."

This was indeed an interesting find. At first, he thought this black hedgehog was a normal priest, but since he was one of them, he was surely observing this town closely.

'And better than that stupid bulldog,' he snorted in his mind.

He had a little opinion about people in small towns and from his experience, they most of the time neglecting their jobs or were doing a poor job on documentation. Not that he thought highly of this priest either, but Silver was willing to give him credit for tenacity, and he was A-Class. No slacker would get so far.

"That's a good idea."

She stood up, surpassing the feelings of tiredness and migraine. This wasn't the time, nor the place to rest, they had a work to do. She followed him, having a slight problem keeping up with his strides. Once they obtain those reports, they might be able to find out who this devil might have been.

 Once they obtain those reports, they might be able to find out who this devil might have been