Toward the new beginning (8/8)

"Why? Can you tell us more?" asked her Amy, the anger in her voice was gone.

The demoness thought for a bit, glancing around before answering. "Since calm mind has no odor." They looked at her puzzled, so she continued: "Well, demons have a special sense of smell. We can pick up the scent of emotions. The stronger emotion, the stronger the smell. If one's mind is completely calm, it has no smell. It's like that person is invisible to our noses."

That explained why was the chameleon able to remain in the house without her finding out. It wasn't like her nose was super sensitive, it was average, but hiding from demon's sense of smell... that was a great feat.

"I had no idea," Gold was surprised. The Order suspected demons are somehow able to detect negative emotions, so they created the concealing inscriptions after a long research, but she never heard about an emotion having a smell.

Her partner was equally perplexed. Did she just tell them one of their secrets? This actually described their most common way of hunting. If one can become completely calm, then the special inscriptions aren't needed. Not to mention it could be used in any place any time without preparations. But the reality wasn't so straightforward, leaving inscriptions the most reliable way.

And what more... she listened to Amy despite not being chained to her in any way! 'Could her taming ability work on any demon?' He found it unlikely, however... He tasted his tea, thinking about it.

"Since you know," Shadow spoke in a soft voice, "what do you intend to do?" he looked at the red man.

Knuckles slurped his tea putting it down. "I'm sure you can tell, I'm not a brainiac. I prefer to solve my problems with fists." He clashed them to prove his point. Crestia was carefully watching him. This guy had a nice smell around. It was strong and independent. "But I'm not an idiot either." He looked at the demons' duo. "The chained demon and the unchained one... enjoying a tea? Even I can tell something exceptional is happening. I don't have a special nose," he smiled, tapping it, "but I can smell something big is approaching us."

"What about those simpletons?" asked annoyed psychic. That trio was known to have some interesting abilities but their manners were terrible. Well, he would be lying saying that, since Espio was the only one showing a proper respect.

Knuckles' eyebrow twitched. He hated when he called them that way. "Chaotix is my the most loyal group of men. They have my utmost trust."

The psychic hedgehog smirked. "For someone so loyal they left you pretty quickly." He was having so much fun teasing him.

"Well," his face was twitching in multiple places, showing his irritation. "Espio needed a medical care and I can handle the things here."

His silver colleague was silently laughing in an evil way, gesturing with his eyes at Amy. Knuckles looked at her too, being gifted with the sweetest cheesy smile he had ever seen. His body frozen, feeling grave danger.

"But what's now?" Sonic's voice sounded so small.

They looked at him, having no answer. It was Shadow who had spoken first: "I'll follow my original plan to hand myself to The Order."

The echidna captain eyed him. He got a detailed report from his spy stating many interesting facts about this priest and they were spot on. Yet seeing and talking to him was a different matter. He had a hard time believing a demon would turn good or be good since the birth... creation... or whatever process they go thru.

"But, what if they decide to--!" the blue lad was strongly against it. His quills were gently petted.

"It will be alright. I'm finally feeling at ease, being able to accept who I am. This is a next step I have to take."