45. What A Reunion

Shiro had drifted to sleep in the recliner in the living room of his apartment. The television was still on, almost so low that you would only be able to hear it if you were sitting right in front of it. His soft snoring filled the room, dreams of Yuri gracing him with sad, beautiful memories of their family. He missed her dearly and while some people may feel as though dreams of a passed loved one is something to fear, it brought him great comfort.

'My dearest Shiro! I'm so proud of you!'

Thwump.

'Please, give our grandchildren the love that we could not give our children. I love you all, so very much!'

Thwump.

What the hell is making that noise?! It's ruining Shiro's dream time with Yuri!

The noise became louder and more startling as time passed and Shiro came to realize that it wasn't coming from his dream.

THWUMP!!!

Shiro jumped from his chair, heart racing a mile a second as his apartment door was kicked open. He thought for a moment that someone was trying to rob him and he moved to reach for the gun until---

"Dad! Dad, wake up, Rin's in labor!"

Yukio was grabbing him by the shoulders, eyes wide with excitement as he literally shook away any drowsiness that the old man may have had left. Shiro was frozen, hand gripping his chest as he stared at his son with wide eyes. The megane had started shuffling around, grabbing Shiro's coat and tossing it over his shoulders while looking for his shoes.

"Jesus Christ, Yukio, you almost literally gave me a heart attack! I mean, shit, that could have been it for me. No more Shiro."

Yukio rolled his eyes.

"Well you didn't answer Suguro's phone calls! Ling called and told us that Rin's water broke and they've already got him to the hospital. Ren and I went and picked up the kids so that Ling could go on ahead. We didn't want him to miss the baby being born just because you couldn't pick up."

Shiro sighed, slipping his shoes on. Why were the babies always coming at the crack of dawn?

"Alright, alright, I'm up. Let's go." he said, putting his coat on properly as he followed Yukio out after locking his door.

Not that it would lock properly since Yukio broke part of the locking mechanism but whatever.

"Who is Ling again?" he asked as they approached the awaiting Mercedes. Shima was sitting in the backseat with sleepy children huddled into his lap, almost dozing off himself. Shiro took a seat on the passenger's side, buckling his seatbelt as they took off.

"Rin and Bon's boyfriend, I think."

"...Right. I'm just gonna pretend like I know what's going on and that I'm not wearily confused."

"All you really need to know is that there is a chance that the baby is his."

"They do know that condoms exist, right?"

"Don't ask me."

#

Bon was nervous.

Not because the baby was coming, no. This wasn't exactly  his first go around with having kids. He was nervous because Dr. Arisawa was on maternity leave and a different doctor had to do the procedure. He didn't like the idea of some man he didn't know cutting open his husband and handling their baby.

"Ryuji!"

He looked up, spotting Ling hobbling towards him awkwardly on his crutch. He plopped down next to Bon, chest heaving in an attempt to catch his breath.