2 - Breathe

"Wow! This is incredible! This is what I want to do some day. Be able to stand here, look out into an audience and sing. I'm not a good singer but maybe one day once I get a job I can take lessons." I zone off into my own little world. I sit down at the front of the stage looking out into the 1321 seats.

"This is my street, I smile at the faces. I've known all my life. They regard me with pride. And everyone's sweet, they say 'you're going places'. So how can I say that while I was away, I had had so much to hide. 'Hey guys it's me. The biggest disappointment you know.' The kid couldn't hack she's back and she's walking real slow. Welcome home. Just Breathe." I continue to look out into the audience as I sat there singing. "Just... Breathe."

"So Mandy, who's this musical prodigy you've brought onstage." I hear. I knew it was lexi and I turn around to see almost the entire cast watching me. I jump up and almost walk backwards off the stage.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you all had to hear that. It just felt right singing my favourite song on the same stage it was performed in. I'm sorry." I stutter. I look for somewhere to run. I don't know my way around. I look back into the auditorium and climb off the stage and run up the steps.

"Becky, wait." Mandy calls after me. I turn my head to see her chasing me. I make it to the back of the room before my legs give way. I fall to the floor sobbing. "Shhh Becky it's okay. I'm here. What's wrong?" Mandy crouched beside me and rubbed my back. Before long Jodie arrives too.

"I just sang in front of the full cast. I can't sing. I'm a rubbish singer. I didn't expect them to all hear me. I was just completely zoned out of the real world. Then I made a fool of myself by running off. I've ruined my only chance to meet everyone."

"Hey, don't think that. You were incredible, you have a real talent Becky. You may not see it, but you really do. Everyone was whispering about how amazing you sounded without a microphone or accompaniment. That's why they came out, because they heard you and wanted to know who it was." I pushed myself up so I was sat with my legs off to one side. Mandy wipes my eyes and I see Lexi jump off the stage and run towards us.

"Becky, you are incredible. Oh my gosh, I never heard someone so good who's only 16."

"Thanks Lexi." She gives me a hug, which I return. Then I get one from Mandy and Jodie. "Okay, I think I'm ready to go back up into the stage. Thanks guys." Mandy stands and takes my hand again. We walk down to the stage and climb back up. I meet the rest of the cast, I take pictures with each of them individually, then I get a Schuyler sister picture and then finally I am allowed to take a photo with the full cast. I'm about to leave when I remember my gift for Mandy. "Look, I know this isn't much but I made this for you Mandy." I took a copper key ring out my bag. It was in the shape of an 'M' and had 'Fearless' engraved in it.

"It's beautiful Becky

"It's beautiful Becky. I'm going to put it on my bag as soon as I go up to my dressing room."

"I'm glad you like it. I did the engraving at school. I messed up the 'A' a-bit though."

"It makes it even more unique. Thank you Becky." She gave me another hug. "I will see you again soon Becky. I love you."

"Love you too Mandy. Thank you for everything." I give her one final hug before Jodie and I head back to the Home. Once again dreams had come true.