21 - Mom

February 12th 2018

I woke up to the sound of someone crying. I quickly checked Maribelle's room. As expected it was empty, she was at school. I knew Doug was in the studio today, meaning it could only be my mom crying. I followed the tears to find Mandy in the bathroom. I ran in and crouched down beside her. I could tell she'd been sick from the smell and the fact she was leaning over the toilet. I pulled her hair back and tied it loosely with my scrunchie. I rubbed her back soothingly. "Mandy, what's wrong?"

"Look in the sink." She said with a broken voice. "I can't say out loud." She leaned against me and sobbed into my shoulder.

"It's okay Mandy. I'll help, support and comfort you. Remember Doug will be here in a few hours as he's coming home at lunch. It'll be okay once he's here. He can help you."

"No! He can't know." He yelled, her voice dry from the crying.

"Okay, I'm going to look." I gave her a hug and stood up. Mandy turned and watched me as I walked over to the sink. As soon as I got the smallest glimpse of the inside of the sink, I knew what the problem was. "Are you?" I asked. She burst into more tears and I knew she was pregnant. As much as I would have loved a baby sibling, I know Mandy wasn't ready for another child. It was the main reason she adopted me. I picked up the test, confirming she was pregnant, and rushed to her side. I held her close, like she did to me so often. "It will be okay. I promise you."

"I don't want a baby Becky. I'm happy with my family right now. Doug, you and Mari. I have the perfect kids. I don't want any more kids. I love my job, my hamilton family, our hamilton family. I can't say goodbye to that yet. We would be saying goodbye to your career kickstarting. I can't do that to your career. If I have this kid, I have to leave the show, you won't be able to stay, you won't get to learn the track, you won't be part of the show. I can't do that to you Becky. I don't want a baby."

"Mandy, calm down for a second. Respira. Don't think about me and my career. This is about you. If you really don't want the kid, you could have an abortion. We can go tomorrow and then Doug won't find out."

"Yeah. I want to do that Becky. No one can find out."

"That's fine. I only want what what's best for you. I love you mom. I'm always here for you."

"I love...Wait Becky. You called me 'mom' for the first time."

"Yeah, I did. You're the best mom ever."

"I love you so much baby girl. I know I've only become you're mom in the last few months, but you mean the world to me, and you are still my eldest baby girl."

"I love you so much mama." I give her a tight hug. "Do you want me to book you an appointment for tomorrow, then we can go before anyone else finds out you're pregnant."

"Yes please. Thank you." I smile at my mom before walking out the room to the family computer. I find the number for the clinic and call on my phone.

"Hello, this is the New York maternity clinic. How may I help you?"

"Hi, I would like to book an abortion appointment for my mom."

"Okay, are you 100% sure she wants this? Having an abortion is a big deal."

"I know, she definitely wants it. She and her husband have been having arguments about having another natural child, I'm adopted. She doesn't want another kid and because of career, she can't. She's not ready for it. She adopted me because she wanted another child without sacrificing her acting career."

"Your dad doesn't know?"

"No. And he can't find out. Mandy doesn't want him to know. It will break her, more than she already is, if he finds out. So back to the main point, can we come in tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah, would 10am be okay for you both?"

"Yep that's perfect, Doug will be gone by then."

"Okay, what's the name?"

"Mandy Gonzalez, and I'm Becky Melini-Gonzalez."

"Okay. I'll see you both tomorrow at 10. Goodbye."

"Thank you. Bye." I head back into the bathroom and crouch down by Mandy. "Come on mom. Let's do something find to get our mind off it. I know we usually have a vocal lesson but we can skip one day."

"Sure. What do you want to do? Doug will be home soon so we can't really go out."

"How about we cuddle and play a game with the TV on and then we can go out as a family after we get Mari from school. Maybe bowling or swimming?"

"Bowling sounds good."

"Perfect we'll do that." I took her hand and we went and sat on the couch. I cuddled up to her and smiled. "I love you mom."

"I love you too."