Prolouge

September 2017
(Becky's POV)

I laid on my bed staring up at the ceiling, where I had attached pictures of my idol, Mandy Gonzalez. She was a Broadway actress currently starting in the smash hit Hamilton. I'd only just learnt who she was, but she was already my greatest inspiration. She encouraged me to be fearless and to try things out. I'd spoken to her on twitter once before and she often liked anything that mentioned her. I was listening to the In The Heights cast recording when our Social worker Jodie, knocked on the door.

"Hey Becky, it's Jodie. Can I come in sweetie?" I liked her, she was nicer than the other social workers in the orphanage. She also understood my love for musical theatre.

"Yeah." I called back. I took my headphones out and sat up. "Hey Jodie. Sorry I skipped breakfast this morning. I wasn't feeling it. I just wanted some alone time, well time with my sisters." She came and sat on the edge of my bed.

"I understand, if you ever need anything remember to let me know, if you're ever upset then talk to me. If any of the younger girls get on your nerves. I can fix it. Just because you're the oldest one here by a few years doesn't mean you don't deserve the same respect as someone who's only 10."

There was my problem. All my friends in this place had been adopted in the last two years. The next oldest was 12 and there were 6 of them and they had their own little squad. That's why I stayed in my room, alone with my phone. Once Shannan left, she contacted all of our friendship group and arranged to get me a new phone, so I could keep in touch with them. It also opened my eyes to the world of musicals. It was the only thing I listened to. I started with ones I remembered as a child like cats and Joseph, then I discovered Hamilton and In the Heights and since then I've become a bit of a nerd. I had dreams of being a Broadway actress one day. I had dreams of meeting Mandy. Despite being 16 I was never allowed out into the city alone. You had to be over 13 and there had to be two of you. Therefore meaning I couldn't see the world of Broadway.

"I know. Thanks Jodie." I put my phone on the side and grabbed an outfit for the day. I wore my GWB top and a pair of black leggings with shorts over the top.

I changed in my bathroom and walked back out and sat on my bed

I changed in my bathroom and walked back out and sat on my bed. "Can I just ask Becky, does Mandy know you are an orphan?"

I look down. I hadn't told anyone online anything about my family or that I was stuck in the New York. "No none of them do. I haven't even told my sisters, not even Ryeli, Cori or Kayla. I'm too scared they will treat me different. But definitely not Mandy. Why would she care about it? It's not like she's going to adopt me. She has a family, why would she want someone like me to ruin that?"

"I get you Becky. I was an orphan, an orphan here. When I was able to get my own place at 19 I left and trained as a social worker. I did that to help other girls like me. I was the oldest by a long way for five years after my best friend was adopted when she was 14. That's why I understand you and why I care about you. What you are going with is tough, but be fearless and you will get there. You can do anything you set your mind to. And I'll be there to help you."

I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a hug. "Thank you Jodie."

"Anyway why I came up wasn't to ask if you were okay. I'm taking you out on a little trip. You didn't want to go to the zoo last week so I used the money from your ticket to pay for another trip just for us."

"Really, where are we going?"

"The Graham Windham social workers."

"Um, that's the orphanage Eliza founded."

"Yeah, they've been working on the Eliza project and asked me if I had any girls who would like to come watch the performances."

"Oh my gosh, yes, that's so cool."

"Okay we need to leave in half an hour, they are providing lunch there." I jump off the bed and do some light makeup.

We head out and down to the hall where they are running the event. I took pictures outside by the plaque talking about Eliza. We head in and it in our assigned seats for lunch. On one side is Jodie and the seat next to me is currently empty. I chat with Jodie for a few minutes and she randomly nods at me, gesturing behind me. I turn around and gasp. I cover my mouth as tears stream down my face. Next to me is a woman with one of a kind deep brown and black curls. She looks at me and smiles her perfect smile.

"Hey I'm guessing you're a fan." I nod still shocked. "Wait I recognise you from twitter actually. Are you Becky?"

"Yeah, I am. You know who I am?"

"Of course I do. You are literally my biggest fan and I'm so happy I got to meet you finally." She opens her arms out and pulled me into a hug while still sitting. I smile and hug back. "What are you doing here?"

"My Social worker, Jodie, was asked if any of the girls at the New York Home for Girls wanted to come watch the performances and knew I would be the only one interested so decided to take me. All the other girls are twelve or younger and have no interest in musical theatre or anything like this."

"You're an orphan Becky? Since when?"

"Since as long as I can remember. I don't know anything about my parents at all. Jodie's basically my mom and she's the best. She understands me and passion for musical theatre. The other social workers there hate me, but Jodie likes me. I'm never allowed out into the city. As I said I'm the only one above 12 and you have to be over 13 and go in pairs to be let out. So I live in my room, I write, I draw, sing occasionally and make the videos for you. That's all I do when not at school. I just think of you."

"I never knew, why didn't you tell me sweetie?"

"Because I didn't think you'd care. Why would you care about me? You're a Broadway actress, you have a family to care and worry about. You don't need to be worrying about me too. I'm the least of your problems."

"Of course I care, you're one of my squad kicks. You're one of my most loyal squad kicks, one of the sweetest people I've met. And I hope someone adopts you soon."

"Thanks Mandy. That means a lot. If I do get adopted in the next three years I'll be sure to let you know."

"Keep me in the loop, feel free to DM me whenever you just need someone to talk to. Alright?"

"Okay." I nodded and smiled. We talked through out the whole performance. She introduced me to Lexi, Alysha and Javier. We took pictures and Mandy sent them to me. I thanked her, and Jodie and I went back to the home. "Thank you for an amazing day Jodie. I can't believe that happened." I give her a big hug.

"You deserve it Becky. You are an amazing kid, someone will see that one day. I promise you." She said goodbye and left me to myself.

I looked at my phone to see Mandy had posted some of the pictures of today on her Twitter and Instagram. I liked and retweeted them then turned my phone off and started drawing instead.

I was never expecting one day to change my life forever.