6 - My Room

"Okay, so here's your room Becky." Mandy opens the door for me and I step in, my face lights up and I smile so wide.

"It's huge, and it's perfect. Thank you." It was still quite small but to me felt massive. My old room had space for a yard long desk, my bed and that was it. My new room had a grey carpet and a white built in bed with storage underneath. The view was stunning, it looked just like the In The Heights backdrop. I instantly knew what I wanted to do with the room. I jumped onto the built in bed and pulled my laptop out my rucksack. I grabbed a pen and some paper and started doodling images and ideas.

"We'll leave you to it. Come on Maribelle." Mandy takes her daughter's hand and heads towards my door.

"Wait. Can Maribelle stay? I want to show her some of my things I've been working on."

"Well I was going to go to the store to get some food for dinner, I was going to bring her to give you some space to yourself to plan your room."

"Please can I stay mom." She looks from me to Mandy. I held my hand out to her.

"Okay, just don't get on Becky's nerves." She lets her daughter go and she runs into my bed with me. I give her a tight side hug. "I'll see you girls later. If Douglas is mean to you, tell me, Okay." I nodded and she walked out my room. I opened my laptop and pulled up the software I used.

"These are all previous things I've done. Each one has a sketch of a room and an inspiration board of the different furniture."

"These are amazing Becky. I can't wait to see what you do with this room."

"I think I'm going to do a hot pink, and monotone theme."

"What does that mean?"

"Oh monotone is black, white and grey."

"Ah Okay." I continued to design and plan my room when Douglas came in. "Hey dad. Have you heard of knocking?" Maribelle asked sweetly although I could tell she was annoyed at him for invading us.

"Shut up Maribelle Melini-Gonzalez. None of you girls are in my good books." He yelled st the two of us. I frowned.

"Don't shout at her, she did nothing wrong. You could have knocked and I would have let you in. I get that you don't want me here, having children naturally is more ideal to a family than adopting. But Mandy has a point, since having Maribelle she took almost five years to get her career back with Hamilton. If she had another child now she'd lose that again. She doesn't want a new born right now. She will one day, but not right now, it's not the right time for her. Please don't be mad at Maribelle, Mandy or I, this is beyond a dream for me. I've had no family all my life. I am finally getting something all orphans dream of getting. Something I've dreamed of for as long as I can remember. I didn't choose to be adopted into this family, Mandy and you chose to sign those papers, not me. I'm very thankful you signed them, but it wasn't my choice to be here."

"I'm sorry Becky. I understand. I did choose to sign it, Mandy partly forced me but I chose to stay and not leave the building. I'm sorry I've been treating you like crap, but I promise to try and be the father you've always wanted."

I stood up from my bed and walked over to him and gave him a bear hug. "Thank you Douglas." I smiled up at him and he kissed my hairline.

"I'm so sorry Becky. I will try my hardest to look after you and treat you as my own daughter. It may take time to get used to, but I'll try sweetie."

"I'm trying too. I'm trying to fit in and be apart of the family."

"I know sweetie. Mandy said you were planing your room, can I have a look?"

"Sure." I pick up the designs and lie on the floor. "So I want to do a hot pink and monotone theme. These are some things I found as inspiration and then this is a rough layout. Also I painted this pink background and I was wondering if you could try to do something similar."

"Wow, I never knew you painted, this is good."

"Thanks, Yeah. It all from doing fan art. Once my room is done, I'm going to put them up on the wall behind the bed. So you will see it all then."

"Great. And of course I can put this on your wall. Where were you thinking?"

"Around the window I think."

"That would work. What colour curtains were you thinking."

"Well I was hoping to get some ones that match the bedding. So if I can, something chevron. Probably grey and a pink chevron along the bottom. But I'd probably pick a nice bedding set then pick curtains based off that."

"Okay. Let's have a look at the rest."

The three of us crowded around my designs and made adjustments and additions to it. We laughed as we made jokes and funny comments on the ideas. I felt like I really bonded with Douglas and Maribelle during that hour. "It's nice to see all my family having a good time together." Mandy said standing at the door. I smiled and she joined us on the floor and confirmed that all my plans and ideas were suitable.