45 - Puppy

May 12th 2018
I woke up with my sister in my arms looking up at me. "Morning Becky."

"Morning lil sis. How are you?"

"Much better now I've got to spend the night with you by my side

"I'm glad. Let's go get some breakfast." Maribelle giggled and got out of bed and ran to the kitchen. I ignored the giggle and went to my room to get my phone. I checked it and responded to any messages and headed to the kitchen. It was pitch black and no one was to be seen. "Mommy? Daddy? Maribelle?" Whenever I was nervous about my family I always used 'Mommy and Daddy' rather than 'mom or mama, and dad.' I heard the front door of the apartment open and a small yapping occurred. I headed to the doorway and there my dad stood holding a tiny Maltese puppy. "Oh my gosh, Dad, you didn't?"

"We have a new addition to the family. Your mom and I have been discussing it for a while and decided to get you a puppy. We were going to wait until the summer holidays began for Mari and then discussed yesterday that we should get him for you as a Broadway Debut gift. We said we had something special for you."

"Oh my gosh. Thank you so much Daddy." I ran up to him and gave him a hug and looked at the tiny puppy on his arms. "Does he have a name yet?"

"Nope, that's your job."

"Okay." I picked up the puppy in my arms and stroked his fluffy coat. Maribelle and Mandy appeared and Mari squealed at the sight of the puppy.

"He's adorable, he's so fluffy and cute."

"Thanks mom and dad for this, Mari I can't believe you knew about it. Let go sit in the living room and think of names." We all head in and I set the puppy down on my lap. "He's very well behaved." I say stroking him. "This is going to sound weird but for some reason he looks like and acts like a Benny to me."

"Okay, so is that his name." My mom asks. I pause and think for a moment looking down at the dog.

"Yeah." I nod. "Welcome to the family Benny Melini-Gonzalez. You're going to love it here. I'm Becky, this is my little sister Maribelle. This is Mom, and this is Dad." I said turning him to face everyone. "I'm going to take great care of you Benny. I love you." I hug the dog tightly to my chest. "Mom, Dad, did you get anything for him, or are we doing that today?"

We got food and a lead and harness, as he's too small for just a collar at the moment. But we though you would want to pick out toys, a bed, his collar and what you want inscribed on it."

"Alright. Mari, can you do find that tennis ball."

"Yep, it's in my room, one moment." She ran off and came back with a small tennis ball. She sat on the opposite side of the room and rolled the ball. "Fetch Benny." He ran after it and just about managed to pick it up in his mouth.

"Good boy Benny. Come here." I patted the floor in front of me. He looked at me weirdly. "Come here Benny." I kept tapping the floor and he walked over to me. I ruffled his head. "Good boy. Can you drop." I held my hand out. "Drop the ball Benny." He let go and I praised him again. "Mama, I guess you got treats? Can I have some."

"Yep." She left the room and. And back with treats. "I know he was trained slightly before we adopted him. He was from a breeder and she trained all the puppies for the first few months. He's 6 months old now and his birthday is November 15th."

"Okay. That explains why he's so well behaved." We played catch with him in the living room and gave him treats every so often. I was so excited to have my own puppy to play with and look after.

(Benny)

(Benny)