38 - Debut

Mandy, Lexi, Joanna, Maribelle and I were all in my moms dressing room chatting when Joanna jumped up from her seat and ran to the bathroom before throwing up. I chased after her, knowing she wasn't feeling great and quickly tied her hair up and rubbed her back. "It's okay Joanna. You'll be fine."

"I can't perform Becky. Not when I've just thrown up, I knew I should have said something earlier. All the universals are in other cities at the moment. And my understudies and swings, one is on vacation and the other has already called in sick. I don't know what to do." She began sobbing but I kept rubbing her back.

"Mom, can you go get someone who can sort this out. Joanna's been sick but she has no understudies available." She nodded and ran off to find Lin or someone else. Lexi knelt down by us and tried to calm Joanna.

"What happened?"

"You know Ant is off sick, well they had dinner out last night and I think it's food poisoning of some sort. But whatever it is she can't perform and there's no one else." I told her and Lexi sighed.

"I don't know what's going to happen but they will figure something out. They always do. The show must go on some how."

"Becky! Call your father. He's going to want to watch tonight?" She came rushing in with Lin and one of the company managers.

"What, why?"

"You're making your Broadway Debut tonight baby girl."

"What, no, I can't, I'm not ready. I had so many corrections. I don't have costumes or wigs or anything." I began to panic. She crouched beside me and looked me in the eye, and rubbed my arms.

"Sweet heart, you are our only option. You know the track well enough. I promise you will be okay. I'll help you when you're offstage with changes. Chris is going to focus on your changes as you don't know what you're doing as much and the other assistants will do Lexi and I. There will be someone in the wings to remind you of props and things. Hair wise, we are putting it half up, half down and loosely curling then rest. You know the part better than anyone else here does. Please Becky. We can't do the show without you, and if you mess up, it's fine, we all mess up occasionally."

I looked down at my lap, then up into her eyes. I knew she meant what she was saying, she had a great passion, love and genuine look in her eyes. "Looks like I'm making my Broadway debut then." I smiled and hugged my mom.

"Thank you Becky. I know you will be amazing. Now call you're father, he can have your seat then Mari and Doug can watch you make your debut." I nodded and stood up.

"Look after Joanna, Lexi will explain and I'll go call him. Hopefully he's finished the painting." She gave me a kiss and I ran off to her room and picked up my phone. He picked up after only a few rings.

"Hey sweetie, everything okay?"

"Yes and No. I need you to come to the theatre now. There's only half an hour before the show starts."

"Why, what's wrong becky, is Maribelle sick, are you sick?"

"No daddy, Joanna's been sick. She has no understudies available so I'm making my debut tonight, in half an hour. You need to come quickly so you can get I and watch. I know you have the painting but this is my Broadway debut." I could hear him moving around. "Dad, I want you hear more than anyone else in the world."

"I'm on my way, you know my studio is just a few blocks down the road, I'll be there in 10-15 minutes. I'd driving but I'm not missing this for the world. I'm so proud of you Becky, and I'm excited to watch you. I love you baby girl."

"Thank you Daddy. I love you too. I'll send Mari out to wait with one of the ushers. She has the tickets. Okay. I'll see you tonight. I have to rush. Bye." I pulled the phone from my ear to hang up.

"Becky! One last thing." I returned it and smiled. "You deserve this. You've worked so hard to get this far, and you have so much talent. I know you may not seem ready, but I know you are. Go out there and take it all in, enjoy yourself and if you mess up, just carry on. Break a leg sweetheart, I'm supporting you every step of the way."

"Thanks Daddy. That means a lot. I love you, but I really have to go get ready now. Bye."

"Bye." I quickly hung up and gave Maribelle the tickets and helped her find an usher who I knew would take care of her until dad arrived.