18 - Peggy/Maria

January 25th 2018
Mandy and I got off the subway and headed into the theatre, for her two show day and my Wednesday vocal lesson. I was really excited as apparently Lin and Alex were coming in today, so Mandy had asked them if they could coach me on a few Hamilton songs. We got off the subway and headed down to 46th street and quickly into the theatre. "Hey Mandy, long time no see." We heard as we entered the central area backstage.

"Oh my god Lin!" Mandy let go of my hand and ran over to him and gave him a massive hug. "It's been so long. I've not see you since my opening in September, last year." I stood back in complete awe. I was literally standing in front of the Lin-Manuel Miranda. The Shakespeare of our time.

"So I hear you have a musical prodigy who's after a vocal lesson with Alex and I?"

"Lexi told you the musical prodigy part didn't she?"

"Yeah, I mentioned that I was here for that and she described her as that."

"Well she's not wrong. Anyway Becky, meet Lin, Lin meet my eldest daughter Becky." I stepped forward towards my mom and smiled.

"Uh Hi. Wow this is slightly crazy. Thank you for everything without Hamilton or In The Heights I... uh...A, wouldn't be here because this show wouldn't exist so Mandy wouldn't be in it. B, I wouldn't have fall in love with theatre, wouldn't have heard of Mandy, so wouldn't have been adopted ever."

"I'm sure you would have been adopted at some point." He said smiling at me.

"After 17 years, I highly doubt it when I only had one year left, to find myself a good enough job, to afford my own place. It wasn't going to happen."

"Well it did. I found you." Mandy smiled putting a hand on my shoulder.

"And I'm very thankful." I gave her a quick hug and stepped back.

"Okay so Lin and Alex are with you today Becky, as you know. You have your vocal score from Christmas, so enjoy, remember what I've taught you and all your other Wednesday vocalists. I nodded and then followed Lin into the stage. Alex was already in the pit waiting for us.

"Hey Alex, this is Becky, Mandy's daughter." Lin introduced me to him.

"Hey, Becky. I hear we are working on Hamilton songs today. Any in particular you want to look at?"

"Um Satisfied maybe. Helpless, I would love to learn the three female roles. You never know, may come in handy somewhere in the long time future."

"You know, once you're 18 you could always audition to join the company?"

"I'm white British, I don't really think I'm the right ethnicity for this show anyway. It was just a fantasy really. It like I'd always dreamed of playing Nina, one day, somewhere out there. But again, I'm not the right person, I feel what she feels. But I'm not a Latina in any way, besides having an adopted Latin mom."

"You're an immigrant though. That's enough." Lin pointed out. I looked down at the floor.

"That's exactly what Mandy said to me." I felt like I was digging my own grave, talking about my ethnicity and past had become harder on me since discovering everything about how I was found and then treated, how no one knew my actual birthday, or my birth parents. I saw Mandy watching me from the side, I looked over to her and she looked nervous for me.

"You okay?" She mouthed. I shook off everything in my head and nodded back at her with a smile. I then turned back to the boys.

"So, shall we look at the four big songs then. Schuyler Sisters, Helpless, Satisfied and Say no to This. If we start with the first one, I can go grab your mom, Lexi and Daniel, who I know are all already in, to come sing it through with us."

"Okay that sounds good."

"So I'll teach you Peggy's part because you'd most likely be able to play her at a younger age, and we have the others and not Joanna with us." I nodded and then we did some simple warm ups. Learning the track was harder then I imagined, I was so used to singing the tune and the parts that naturally fitted with me from the recording I realised I'd been singing a mix of each role. I go to sing it with Mandy, Lexi, Daniel and Elizabeth Judd and Anthony Lee Medina who has all come in. Joanna watched as she arrived but I'd taken her role. Once we finished we were half way though our time.

"I need to step my game up! We have a new little Peggy in the building!" I smiled at her.

"Becky. I want you to take this." Lin passed me a folder. Work with Mandy and Joanna. I want to see you learn the Peggy/Maria vocal track. I feel it may be useful for you once you're 18, 19, maybe 20. You could definitely play the role, you have a very similar voice and vocal style to Jasmine and Joanna."

"Wow, Okay Thank you. This is amazing." Mandy came over and gave me a massive hug.

"I told you Becky. You really have what it takes."

"Thanks Mandy." We sang though Say no to This a few times before the cast needed the stage for their Matinee performance. Everyone heard my final run through and cheered. I blushed massively and had a group hug with Lin, Joanna, Lexi and my mom. "Thank you so much Lin and Alex. I'll take yours advice and I'll start to learn this." I gestured to the binder. "Thank you." I gave Alex a High Five before Mandy took me off backstage as the cast warmed up.

"I'm so proud of you baby girl. You really are going far in this career. You deserve this."

"Thanks Mandy. I'll head up to your room and look through this. You go warm up. I love you."

"I love you too. Bye princess." She waved as I walked back to Mandy's room and smiled at the binder. Who knew one lesson could change everything?