52 - Painting

I picked out a 12 by 16 inch canvas and some white, pink and black acrylic paint. "Dad, I assume you have pallets to mix and put the paints on."

"Yes honey, in that draw." He points at a big and deep draw and I thank him. I find a suitable one from the huge selection and take it to the desk. Dad found his things, most were already out from the previous painting. "Okay, so with these canvases, I suggest doing a plain white layer and let that dry before doing other layers. It provides a more solid base and also let layers mostly dry before doing another colour."

"Sí, Thanks Daddy for letting me come today."

"It's no problem Becky, I've been wanting to bring you here for ages but I couldn't when I had a commission to do, but I don't have any today so I don't have work, so we can have some fun together." I smile and I sit beside him and do the base white coat. He let me use any brushes I wanted, I was so happy he trusted me with all his things, and I was excited to show Mandy. I sat and watched my dad work on his painting and was in awe at how incredible he was. Once the white was dry I started mixing the white and pink to get various shades. I found a photo of the album cover that Doug had printed out when the album came out. I painted the pink and was proud of how it looked. "That looks incredible Becky."

"Thanks dad, but yours looks better."

"Don't say that honey, they are different styles. Yours is amazing sweetheart. Mom is gunna love it."

"I hope so. Um, can I use your computer and printer to print the logo so I get the spacing right."

"Of course. If you print on some of the card that is in there, it's clearly labelled, you can use the craft knife and a cutting mat and carefully cut it out and use as a stencil."

"Awesome, Thanks Daddy." I give him a big hug and have an idea. "Can you let me know if the paint dries so I can add the next layer of a different shade."

"Sure."

"Thanks." I rush into his office and print off the logo in the right size on card and head back to the main room and sit down, further over so I didn't touch the canvas.

"I was just about to call you."

"Okay, I'll do the next layer and then do the cutting." I look at his and see he's finished the background that was an off white and had done the basics of the three dresses and drawn in the rest of our body's and was currently drawing the facial details. "How did you do it all so quickly Dad?"

"I've done it before, I know the paint combinations I need for the parts of the dresses and your skin tones. Yours took a lot longer as I had to colour test and I've drawn it before on yours so it's a lot easier the second time around."

"Oh Okay, I can see why." I do the last of the pink and cut out the letters slowly to make them perfect. I then use a sponge brush to dab on the black paint. I left the stencil attached to do a second coat and watched my dad add the dress details, it was so intricate but was beautiful. Once the first layer of black was dry I did a second then removed the stencil.

"It's beautiful Becky." My dad gave me a side hug and I smiled at him.

"Thanks Daddy. I hope mama likes it."

"I'm sure she will, because it's amazing and it's made from the heart."

"Thanks dad. That...that helps a lot." I give him a side hug and think of another painting idea.