Darker Than Love | 10

Michelle's POV

"Do we really have to do this?!" I whined as I tugged harshly at my blonde locks.

"Yeah, Mrs. Santos said, we all need to go to the campfire, Michelle.  I'm sure it'll be fun, just don't sweat it." Sebastian mumbled as he pinched the side of my cheek with a cheeky grin on his face.

"Sure, whatever." I brushed his hands away and began walking down the path leading to the beach. "Where's Mason, I mean after those locking lips I'd figure he'd be with you." He grinned as he nudged me in the arm playfully.

I pushed him away from me harshly, making him stumble back in astonishment and clutch his chest dramatically. "Girl you nearly made me see my death," he huffed out as he swiped his finger across his forehead.

"Do you think Mason likes me?" The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could stop them. "Do you want me to be honest with you sweetie?" He frowned deeply and I sighed.

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned towards him, giving him my undivided attention. "Yeah, Sebastian that's why I asked." His frown deepened and I knew it wasn't gonna be good.

"Michelle, I know how to read boys' feelings but I can't read him. He just seems reserved like he wants you but he doesn't want you, I don't know. that's the best I can give you," he shrugged apologetically.

I nodded in response and resumed my walking down to the beach.

The cool night and salty breeze washed over my face as I approached the beach. I smiled sadly as my feet sank into the yellow sand, and the sound of the waves crashing like a blue blanket over the yellowish sand made my smile grow. The moon sat comfortably over the dark blanketed horizon as the night covered the world in its warm darkness and the stars sparkled in the sky as they shed a glowing light down onto the earth.

Definitely a beautiful sight.

I shivered lightly as another gust of cold wind swept over me to the point where I feared that I would collapse.

In the distance, I could see a blazing fire accompanied with students surrounding it.
Sat on the logs were my fellow schoolmates with blankets draped over their shoulders, some of them engaged in conversations and others gazing at the sea that glistened under the moon and stars.

Sebastian was already ahead of me probably trying to escape the complete silence I fell into as I admired the earth.

I took lazy strides behind Sebastian but no one notice or seemed to worry about my presence so I made a b line for the sea and marched closer to the crashing water.

I lowered myself down onto the sand and pulled my legs closer to my chest, I wrapped my hands around my legs and laid my chin down on my knees.

I gazed into the distance where the sea appeared like a never-ending cycle. When I was little I always thought that there was a waterfall at the end of every beach.

I thought that when the sun was setting it was probably going down into the waterfall and rising back up when it wanted the world to wake up. It's like kids who thought that at the end of a rainbow was a leprechaun with a stack of gold.

I dug my toes into the warm sand and sighed a breath of relief. Sometimes moments like these gives me time to think of all the happy moments I had with my sister.

She was my best friend despite our age differences. We did everything together and I was devastated when she went off to university and that was partly why I went off the rails with Kaleb.

But when she finally came back she walked right into my mess of a life.

If I could go back in time I'd stay far away from Kaleb as possible, if only I knew that dating him came with a package he was carrying for me. I would keep Deborah as far away from me as possible because despite my dating Kaleb I was still a bad person.