Chapter 52: Hugs

Lucy P.O.V
Saturday May 10th

Natsu has been slightly off. He seems to avoid eye contact as much as possible and only seems to reply in short and choppy sentences. I had to deal with that my whole week. Do you know how awkward it gets when your best friend won't talk first and you have to initiate the conversation only for them to reply with things like yes or okay?

I need to calm down. Yukino and Sting didn't come to school at all this week. They completely skipped it. I also texted both of them but no reply has been sent. I could worry about the Sting and Yukino issue later. Natsu is number one priority.

We're currently sitting on the couch on either side. Plue had curled up with me and Happy curled up with Natsu. We were watching some action movie that I randomly chose but I couldn't get into it. It didn't help that Natsu had blatantly denied any form of communication so I sat there completely bored.

Plue wiggled in my lap. I moved my hand over his head and he stopped moving. Atleast he was trying to communicate unlike a certain someone I know. Why do I even care you might ask? Don't get me wrong I'm used to being ignored. It's nothing new. But when Natsu does it, it's crushing I guess.

Natsu's mouth moved slightly but I didn't quite catch it.

"Did you say something?" I asked.

"No." He replied before focusing back on the movie.

Believe it or not. We once had a conversation this short this week. I wanted him to initiate the conversation but he never did so it was completely silent. I tapped my fingers on the couch.

He was probably worried about something. It didn't seem to be that serious not like before. Meaning he was worrying about something stupid. I grabbed the remote and paused the movie.

"Why'd you do that?" He asked. "It was getting interesting"

"Huh?" I said, a little surprised at the fact that he'd taken the chance to complain.

"Oh uh nothing." He replied awkwardly.

"Spill it." I told him in a commanding tone.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"Don't play dumb Natsu." I replied. "I've seen you purposefully avoid me. I've seen you avoid eye contact as much as possible. You don't even talk that much any more. You try to make it look like you're distracting yourself with other things but I can see. I notice little things like these. No matter how much you try to make it look natural, I will always notice so just tell me what you think you did wrong or what I did wrong. I'm honestly tired of the way you've been acting."

He remained silent for a second before turning slightly red.

"You poured your heart and soul into that comment and the reason for it is so embarrassing and unimportant." Natsu finally spoke up.

"I don't care. I don't like when you have something to hide from me. That's all. You're my best friend and I want to help you in any way I can." I told him.

Bitter. It tastes bitter.

"Yeah.." He murmered.

"Okay I'm listening." I said.

"Well you remember the day that we had that blackout?" He asked.

"Well I mean it was Monday so yeah." I answered.

"Well you dozed off and I kinda....maybe...accidentally of course- promise you won't get mad." He burst out.

"I'm not going to get mad." I promised.

He whispered it.

"Natsu let's not do this whispering thing and just get to it." I told him. I was close to snapping.

"I might have kissed you on your hair but I swear it was accide-" He said.

He was cut off by me laughing.

"Lucy, I don't know what that laugh means and it's slightly scaring me." Natsu said.

"That was it!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah.." He answered nervously.

"I don't care about that. Do it as many times as you feel like. It doesn't really bother me." I told him.

He sighed in relief.

"May I ask what caused you to do such an act?" I asked.

His face was turning pinker.

"Nothing." He answered quickly.

"By the look on your face it doesn't look like nothing." I teased.

He didn't even attempt to say anything back probably knowing that the effort would be futile. I smiled at that. So cute.

I patted the spot right next to me. He looked at me slightly confused.

"I haven't gotten a hug this week." I told him.

"I thought you hated my hugs!" He exclaimed.

"I quite like hugs. My mom used to give me a lot of hugs when I was little so I got so used to them." I explained.

"Did not expect that." He muttered. "You don't seem like the person to like hugs."

"Well I do. Can't judge a book by its cover." I told him.

Natsu came beside me and wrapped his hands around my stomach and also rested his head on my shoulder. It was quite a comfortable position.

"Let's not move until we have to go to bed okay?" I asked. " I don't want to move."

"Fine by me. This position is comfortable." Natsu whispered.

That's when we spent the whole day just there on the couch. No disturbances.

I fell asleep first and Natsu soon joined me. Peace was in the house. Exams were coming soon so this peace was greatly appreciated even if it was short-lived.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
I'm back. It's finally summer. This was so cheesy. I'm sorry. I'm going to have a lot more free time to write. Expect me to update more. Believe it or not, I actually did better than I thought on the exams.

Sorry it was short. Couldn't lengthen it more than I already did.
Anyways I hope you enjoyed and I hope to see you in the next chapter.

Ciao.