Chapter 74: Exams suck

Lucy P.O.V
Tuesday, June 22nd

"Exams suck," I said out loud.

Natsu looked at me before chuckling.

"What did you expect?" He asked, slightly laughing.

"I don't know. We studied pretty hard so I thought the exams would be a breeze but as soon as I saw the paper, I blanked and couldn't remember half of what we studied." I answered.

"I actually think I did pretty good. I knew most of the answers." Natsu said.

"Watch and see. You just jinxed yourself. You might end up doing bad because of that." I told him.

"Do you actually believe that?" He asked.

"Yeah. There was this one time I thought I did well on a test but I barely passed." I answered. "Jinxes are not to be messed with."

Natsu and I were at home on my bed with books surrounding us. Our next exam was tomorrow and I didn't want a repeat of what happened today.

I threw the book at the wall in a rage.

"Why do teachers think it's okay to pile on exams on one week and stress students out?" I asked angrily.

"It's not like it's their fault. The system requires it." Natsu answered, poking at a book.

"We're not going to be able to do anything fun until the end of the week," I complained.

Plus and Happy poked their heads from the outside and then left us again.

"I just want to sleep and forget about all my worries," Natsu said randomly.

I poked him on the cheek and he didn't notice. He shooed my hand away and stared intently at a book so I threw it at him.

"What was that for?" He asked.

"Stop spacing out," I shouted.

"I can't help it. I've got more than one thing to worry about." He said sadly.

"Look let Ole Lucy here give you some advice," I told him.

He looked at me waiting.

"There are some things in life you can't control. They creep up on you and won't go away. They distract you from your life and don't allow you to enjoy how you're living now. Even though it might be hard, you've got to live in the moment so you can make memories with the people who care about you rather than being held back." I told him with a smile on my face.

"You sure do know how to pick your inspirational speeches, Lucy." Natsu laughed.

"Well yeah. My mom used to make me read inspirational books and watch inspirational movies so I could get better at inspiring people." I smiled sadly.

"If you don't mind me asking, what were your parents like?" Natsu asked.

I looked at him for a moment and sighed.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I just figured I'd ask." He scrambled together.

"It's fine but you have to promise me that you'll talk about your parents too," I said.

Natsu hesitated then nodded.

"My dad was uptight. He loved the more complicated things in life. He would always find a more complicated way to do things even if it was setting simple like getting coffee. He tended to train a lot and was quite meticulous about everything. Even though he was strict, he never pressured me too much." I said calmly, my voice not wavering.

"He sounds the opposite of my dad," Natsu said.

"My mom was one to live anything romantic. She was less strict than my dad and loved to confuse people. She was much more of a simpler person and loved the simpler things in life. She put me through hell if I couldn't perfect something I'd been working on for ages. She was also the kind of mom to change her attitude once a guest comes over." I told him.

"She sounds amazing. They both sound amazing." Natsu said, looking at me curiously.

"It's time to hold up your end of the bargain," I told him.

He hesitated slightly before beginning.

"I don't really have many memories with my mom since she died when I was little but I do remember she was one of the most gentle people my young eyes had seen. She wouldn't hurt a soul and loved animals. Her favorite were cats. That's why I couldn't leave Happy outside alone." Natsu told me.

He took a deep breath before continuing.

"My dad was the most energetic guy ever. He always got along with everyone even one comes who hated people. He never made enemies and always kept peace in the neighborhood. He was one of the most living people in the world and helped with the balance between good and evil." Natsu finished.

'They both sound amazing." I told him.

He smiled at me.

"I'm going to find who killed him and I'm going to make them realize the weight of what they did. That's why I'm agreeing to all these experiments. The person in charge said they'd look for whoever the killer is everywhere if I cooperate. They come closer every year. It all started with the hint that I gave them of what I saw that day." He told me.

"You see who killed your dad?' I asked.

"There were two of them. Their faces were covered but one of them was wearing a pearl necklace with a flying bird engraved on it." Natsu told me.

I looked at him blankly for a second before returning back to normal.

"Did I freak you out?" Natsu asked jokingly to lighten the mood.

"Of course not. You'll have to do more than that to scare me. I just zoned out is all." I told him.

"I think that's enough sad memories for today. Let's just try and get through the rest of this week. Let's continue studying." He said.

I groaned.

"Exams suck," I said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
I finally got inspired to write. I've just felt so uninspired lately but I revisited a favorite story of mine and got back in the groove.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed and I hope to see you in the next chapter.

Ciao.