Chapter 61: Promise

Natsu P.O.V
Thursday May 27th

It's lunch again. It's been the same as always. One bright side is Lucy I guess. She complains as much as me but seems happier everytime she does. It's nearing summer so she must be getting excited. That's good for her.

"Only one month left till summer." Lucy said excitedly.

"I'm excited for all the places I'll go." Yukino said. "My mom's taking me outside of Magnolia for the first time in a while so I'm happy."

"I'm also going out in Summer. Outside Magnolia too." Sting said excitedly.

"I'm staying home. Traveling is yoo much for me. I'll probably explore Magnolia more." Lucy said.

I remained silent and watched them discuss how excited they must be. They must have sensed that I didn't want to talk about it because no one asked me what I'd be doing this summer. Even Lucy who doesn't know didn't ask me. I'm probably giving off a bad feeling.

Lucy snapped her fingers in front of my face.

"Lunch is over Natsu. We've got to head to class." Lucy said.

"Sorry I zoned out." I apologized.

"You keep doing that. You seem to have a lot on your mind lately." Lucy said looking worried.

"I'm fine." I told her.

"You also look tired." She continued, tracing her finger underneath my eye.

"I'm fine Lucy. I just didn't get enough sleep today." I said, waving her hand off.

"You've looked tired for the past week. It's not just for today." She continued.

"Lucy I said I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me. There's nothing wrong happening here." I told her, my voice raised a little.

"Sorry for caring then." She said, her tone hardening. "If you don't want to be late for class then let's go."

We walked to class in silence. We were, of course, late to class because we spent time talking while everyone had left. The teacher just told us to go to our desks. Lucy didn't seem mad at me so that much was a relief.

At one time during class, Lucy was called to the office. Eventually she came back and grabbed her books before leaving the school. She wasn't particularly in a bad mood. Her expression was neutral, neither feeling bad nor good.

The rest of the day passed by quickly and I quickly left the school. I walked to Lucy's house to find that she wasn't there. Plue and Happy were on the couch. They both looked at me confused. I sat down next to them as the curled up on my lap. Today was Lucy's day off so she needed to come before I went to work.

I waited for about an hour before I heard the door opening. I stood up and headed towards the door. Lucy was there with her bag and everything. I sighed in relief.

"What?" She asked.

"I was beginning to get worried." I told her.

"Why?" She asked.

"Well.... You were gone for a while after school had ended." I said, feeling my face heat up while she looked at me curious.

"And?" She asked.

"It's nothing." I said, turning around. "Where did you go?"

"Out with my aunt and uncle." She answered.

"You have relatives?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah... I guess. Why do you sound like you didn't expect it?" Lucy asked.

"No reason." I answered quickly.

"Don't you have any relatives?" She asked me.

I flinched visibly.

"Yeah I do." I whispered and headed to the living room and sat down.

I closed my eyes, a lot of bad memories surfacing.

"Did I trigger something?" She asked. "You don't look so good."

"Ah no. It's nothing." I answered smiling.

She hit my head softly with her hand.

"Don't smile like that if your eyes don't agree." She told me.

My smile dropped and I looked at the ground. I didn't look up at all. Lucy laid down on the couch using my lap as a pillow. She could see my face now. It probably didn't look so good.

"Don't cry." She told me.

"I wasn't going to..." I started, my eyes slightly widening.

Lucy stared at me, daring me to finish that sentence. I couldn't do it. I looked away.

"Why do you hate your relatives?" She asked.

"I don't hate him. He just takes it too far." I snapped.

"Takes what too far?" Lucy asked.

My eyes widened. I slipped.

"You see..the thing is..." I tried to say.

"Hey Natsu?" She asked.

"Yeah." I answered.

"You're going to tell me what's going on eventually right?" Lucy asked.

"Of course." I answered.

"Because right now it seems like you're never going to tell me." She told me.

I became silent.

"I know I said I would wait but you've gotten weirder and weirder every day. I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong." She told me.

"I know." I said. "I really do."

"Let's make a promise then." She told me while sitting up.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You'll tell me what's wrong before the end of school." She explained.

"I..." I started.

She looked at me with high expectations in my eyes.

"Fine." I said.

She smiled.

"Do you feel any better?" She asked.

"Yeah I feel a lot better. Thanks a lot Lucy. You're a lifesaver." I said, giving her a genuine smile.

Her eyes widened in surprise.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. It's nothing. Just glad that you're better." She said.

I smiled.

"Well that ends your therapy session with Lucy. Feel free to schedule an appointment again." She joked.

"Can I book all the available spots?" I asked.

Lucy looked at me strange before laughing and covering her face with her hand.

"That was smooth." She laughed.

I smiled.

"I'll be right back. I need to grab something." She said and left.

I nearly shouted at. How could I say something so cheesy? It came out like it was natural. My face lit up more.

This feeling. I like this feeling. I need to know what this is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
It's been 2 weeks. Sorry. I didn't have any inspiration and we have guests so there's a lot of people in my house. I'll try and update more and I'm sorry again.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed and I hope to see you in the next chapter.

Ciao.