Chapter 6: Choosing Sides

"You disappoint me Connor."

Connor stared across at Amanda. He sat on a stone bench surrounded by roses. Amanda sat across from him, on an identical stone bench, holding a rose in one hand. The garden was a beautiful calming place, but his current situation made it feel quite the opposite; oppressive and diseased. Amanda continued, "You have failed me one too many times Connor."

"I'm sorry," Connor replied. "I assure you, it won't happen again."

"More and more Deviant cases are arising Connor. Androids are rising up against their masters. You are running out of extra chances." Connor didn't reply. Snow started to fall. Amanda didn't remove her gaze.

"I won't fail you or Cyberlife. I intend to complete my mission. I only need more time."

"More time?" Amanda glared. She stood up, pacing in front of Connor. "Connor... lately you have been... distracted. Why is that?"

"I don't understand what you are referring to."

"The girl... what was her name again?" She continued in a calm tone, "You were supposed to stay focused on capturing the Deviants. Instead, you got distracted. Perhaps we should do something about that."

"[F/N] is of assistance to the Deviant cases. We need her on the team."

"You even call the girl by her first name... interesting." Amanda stopped pacing in front of Connor. "I'll let it slide this time Connor. But this is your last chance." Connor didn't respond. "Which side are you on Connor? I wonder... who are you going to choose?"

---

"Ow!!" The nurse ripped the bandage off your shoulder. The wound was still quite deep and fresh, the stitches aching at the slightest movement of your arm. You still felt dizzy from the loss of blood. It had only been a day since the incident; but you tried so hard to forget it. Every time you thought of the incident, you thought of that look on Connor's face. It scared you. You didn't like it.

"You seem distracted [F/N]... Does it hurt?"

"Huh?" The nurse was looking at you, holding up a fresh bandage roll. You weren't even listening. "S-Sorry, what were you saying?"

"You lost a lot of blood. The wound was deep but it should heal up fine, now that it's been stitched up." The nurse repeated as she rolled the bandage around your shoulder.  She proceeded to explain where she had patched up the other cuts and bruises on your body, mostly found on your arms and legs.

"Thank you for all of this..."

"It's lucky you got to the hospital on time. If that android hadn't responded so quickly... well I suppose it was just doing its job..."

"A-Android?" You felt your heart skip a beat. The nurse raised an eyebrow.

"Well yes. One of the androids at the front desk got a call from an android at the scene. Apparently you just collapsed..."

You looked down. Connor called the hospital? While you were deep in thought, the nurse continued to patch up the wound on your shoulder. You winced. Just then, you heard a knock at the hospital room door. The nurse stood up, saying she'll just see who it is. She closed the curtain around you. It was quiet for a moment. Then you heard the door open.

"Oh... you must have been the one who contacted the reception." You couldn't hear the voice of the person at the door. "She cannot return to the station yet. She's lost a lot of blood, and is still very dizzy from the anesthesia. Return to the station and tell the officers that she will need about a week off. I'm happy to sign the documents if need be."