Storytime with Grandpa Iroh... I don't like this story....

"After Zuko's outburst in the meeting...." Iroh continued. I had stood to move away from the fire since it was getting uncomfortably warm and was sitting on the steps again. "The Fire Lord became very angry with him." Iroh's face became a little sarcastic as he did air quotes around his next words. "He said that Prince Zuko's challenge of the general was an act of complete disrespect." Iroh frowned. At the angle I was at, the fire cast some scary shadows over his face. "And there was only one way to resolve this..." His face became heartbroken as he looked away from the men, his voice filled with grief. It was heart-wrenching, and I could feel a lump forming in my throat and tears starting to prick my eyes.

"Agni Kai," Jee said, his face filled with dawning understanding. "A fire duel..."

"That's right," Iroh responded, his face still sad, but his voice a little stronger now. "Zuko looked upon the old general he had insulted and declared that he was not afraid. But Zuko misunderstood. When he turned to face his opponent, he was surprised to see that it was not the general." Iroh's face became impassive again as he stared into the dancing flames. "Zuko had spoken out against the general's plan, but by doing so in the Fire Lord's war room, it was the Fire Lord whom he had disrespected." He looked up now, looking each of us in the eye. "Zuko would have to duel his own father."

Understanding dawned on the faces of the men around me, but I could only feel horror. What father would do that to his own son?