Chapter 31 - Questions and Temptations

“Please, take a seat Miss Montgomery.” The older police Officer gestured towards one of the wooden chairs across from them. 

I stared at both of the Officers with wide eyes and a pale face. The young Officer leaned forward and put his elbows on the table, resting his hands on top of his police hat that he had placed on the table. He looks trustworthy, there’s just something about him that I believe that he’s genuine. 

“Jordan.” He said calmly. “I’m Officer Ryan and this is Officer Lawrence. There’s no need to worry. We just need to tell you a few things and then ask you questions about it. Nothing else is going to happen. And, since you’re still a minor, you can call your… umm, Mrs Hood out to stay with you. Does all of that sound fair?”

I looked slowly from Officer Ryan to Officer Lawrence and back again. I turned around to look back inside and found that the boys had gathered near the sliding doors. They kept their eyes locked on me worriedly, and I had a mental debate on whether I should bring them out here for support, but quickly decided against it because they wouldn’t know anything about what the police were talking to me about. And I don’t want them to. 

I locked eyes with Calum and he took a step forward instantly out of habit, looking like he wanted to hold me in his arms like he has many times before… those many times that will never happen again. The thought that I will never let Calum hold me again made my throat close up, tears well in my eyes and my stomach clench tightly. I want him… I want him so baldy that it hurts. 

But I guess we always fall for people we can’t have.

I’ll admit it, maybe I am falling for Calum… maybe. I know I have strong feelings for him, but I don’t know whether I’m in love with him. I just always find it hard to stop thinking about him. Every decision I make, I think about how it might affect him or what he would think of me if I did something. I need to stop doing that if I want to distance myself from him, and to be out of his life. But the problem is, he’s already the voice inside my head.

I looked over at Ashton, because he was the oldest and he just seemed like an older brother. He tilted his head down and raised his eyebrows, asking if I needed him to come out and sit with me. I looked back at the Officers, who were looking at me patiently, and then had a mental argument with myself. On one hand, I would like Ashton to be out here. It would just make me feel better and safer, and I just want him there for support. But he doesn’t know anything about my past. He doesn’t know that my whole family is dead, he doesn’t know that I was in a gang, he doesn’t know that I was tortured and beaten and… that I lost my innocence. My life has literally been hell, and no one really knows about it. 

I looked back at Ashton quickly and shook my head, telling him to stay inside. All the boys kind of seemed disappointed that I didn’t want them out here with me, but I can’t let them know about my past. Knowing personal things always makes it harder to let go. 

I hesitated before sitting down in the wooden chair in front of the Officers. 

“You said you have evidence to prove that the fire and my family’s death wasn’t an accident. What do you mean?”

“A few days ago, we were looking over some old cases, and your case – you’re family’s case – seemed to stick out to me. There was just something about it that didn’t seem right. The affect of the explosion seemed to be… too big to just be an accident. So I did some digging. And I found some evidence, and parts of the report, that detectives seemed to have either missed, not paid attention or just completely looked over.”