Chapter 43 - Reunion

Butterflies raged in my stomach as I stood in front of the wooden door that I had grown familiar to. How are they going to react? Are they going to welcome me back? Are they going to be angry with me? Will they let me explain? Have they already moved on and forgotten about me?

That would be the worst thing to happen out of all of the options; them forgetting about me. I mean, I know I haven’t been the most cooperative and loving “member of the family”, but that doesn’t mean that I never cared. In fact, for me, it means that I care about them the most. You see, I try to push the people that I care about – and who care for me back – away because, if they hate me, it makes it easier for me to leave, knowing that they don’t care. 

But for the Hoods, the boys and their families, this is not the case… and that’s why it hurt so much. More than any of the other times. 

I know that the boys are here, because Ashton’s car is in the driveway, along with the family car. This was going to be hard, because I can’t talk, therefore, I can’t explain myself or tell them anything. But just being with all of them again in better than nothing at all. 

I was nervous to see them all again, but I was even more nervous to see their reactions. I just hope they all haven’t moved on and forgotten, because I’ll do anything to make it up to them. 

With nerves shaking my body, I readjusted my bag on my shoulder and lifted one hand to knock on the door. The house seemed dead. It was like there was nobody home – no lights were on, there was no sound and it just felt like no one was home. That was until the someone answered my knock, pulling the front door open. The large wooden door opened to reveal an exhausted looking Michael. He stared at me blankly for a moment, looking like he thought he was imagining things, then his mouth fell open. 

“Oh my God…” He whispered, looking at me with wide eyes.

I gave him a small sheepish smile – the best that I could do. 

“Oh my God.” He said a little louder, shaking his head as he did. 

Michael beamed at me as he flung the door all the way open, letting go of it, and engulfed me in his arms. My bag fell to the ground with a thud, and I smiled genuinely for the first time in what felt like forever, as I started to cry into Michael’s chest.  

“I can’t believe it… how did you– where did– why did you… oh my God.” He stuttered, shaking his head side to side.

He tightened his arms around me as tears slipped from my eyes. I gripped on to the back of his shirt as I took in the familiarity and comfort I got from his embrace. 

"We've all been worried sick." Michael pulled away slightly, holding onto my shoulders. "Where the hell have you been?"

I shrugged and gave him another sheepish smile, wanting to answer, but I couldn't.

"So you're still ignoring us?" He chuckled, seeming to find it amusing.

I shook my head forcefully, making tears flick off my cheeks. I wiped under my eyes quickly before taping my throat.

"You lost your voice?" Michael questioned, frowning.

I shook my head, wanting to tell him the answer but not knowing how, since I couldn't talk.

"Then what-"

"Michael, what's taking you so-" Ashton came around the corner, stopping mid-stride when he saw me.

I smiled at his familiar goofy self as he stood there, arms limp by his sides, wide eyes and hair flopping down onto his forehead messily. 

“Jordan?” He asked quietly, squinting his eyes in disbelief.