Chapter 17 - Closer

"Why didn't the police come right away? They said they'd come tomorrow when Mali called." Ashton groaned in frustration.

"I don't know." I sighed.

I know I shouldn't be the one who's exhausted, although the boys look about ready to pass out. I can't believe this has happened. Here of all places.

Why now? Why not a few months before, or even after? Why right now while I'm just starting to feel comfortable around here. Now the Hoods probably won't want me around here any more.

"But we just got attacked by people who had knives!" Michael threw his hands up in the air.

"I know that, the police know that. It's hard to explain, okay? And I don't feel like explaining tonight."

"But you have to! We deserve to know what's going on!" Michael complained.

"I know..." I sighed. "I'm not ready to tell you. Besides, I don't really know what's going on."

"What do you mean you don't know what's going on?" Luke asked, frowning.

"Things have changed while I've been gone," I shrugged. "Obviously."

"Gone from where?" Michael asked quickly.

"From that life. From my life with them. I use to spend everyday with them, along with a whole lot of other people."

"Why haven't you been with them then?" Calum scoffed angrily. "Are we holding you back?"

"Umm..." I was taken aback by his angry tone. "No, it was years ago. I moved from foster home to foster home, but that's not really the reason. I just wanted to get away from that life. It's my past, and, being young, I thought I could get away from it. I was obviously wrong."

"Will they hurt you?" Calum asked, quieter this time.

"I don't know."

"Will this get worse?" He asked.

"I don't know."

"Will this get better?"

"I don't know, it can go either way really."

"What happens if it gets worse?" Michael piped in.

"We'll worry about that if it comes. They might have just wanted to get to me - they play jokes all the time."

"Are you sure?" Ashton asked quietly.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Will you tell us if it gets worse?" He asked again.

I thought about it for a second. I know I probably won't, because I don't want them to get involved and to get hurt. But I need to tell them that I would tell them just so they will get off my back and stop worrying so much.

"Yes." I lied and nodded strongly.

The boys nodded. Silence fell over the room.

I held up the disinfectant bottle. "Now, who's first?"

As we sat at the kitchen island bench I got out a whole bunch of first aid supplies to fix the boys up.

The boys all looked at me and the bottle of disinfectant and then at each other.

"Michael." Ashton, Calum and Luke all said at the same time.

"Ashton." Michael said as the boys said his name. "Hey! Why me?"

The boys shrugged.

"Come on, Michael. Don't be a wimp." I laughed.

"I am not a wimp!" He defended.