38•

• Mason POV •

"Why didn't you tell me they died?" I asked her on the verge of tears. "When did you find out?" she asked. I shook my head.

flashback

We were all going to the skating rink. Maddi only came because I was going and we all had gotten into the limo that pulled in recently and were on our way.

The first part of the ride was really crazy then everyone went to sleep. I had fell asleep, but I woke up like two minutes later to hear Maddi and Carter having a conversation.

"Why? I think everyone should get like some type of option of their favourite food." Carter said. "I guess before my parents died, I used to love meat loaf." she said. My mom used to always make meat loaf. It was our thing, and that's why she said that. She hated meat loaf because it was nasty.

"I'm sorry about your parents." Carter said. "I'm over it." Maddi told him. "Can I ask you that question now?" he asked her cautiously.

I'm guessing she'd nodded because he continued.

"Why are you and your brother staying with Matt?" he asked her. "We have no where to live. We've gone years in and out of different foster homes and no one wanted to keep us. Mrs. Espinosa is keeping us until they find us a home." she said. "Wait. It's not permanent?" he asked.

I could feel her eyes roaming the room. I pretended I was still asleep. I was wearing Matthew's head phones, but someone else had music playing loudly next to me.

"No." she answered.

What? So we're not adopted by them?

"When are you leaving? If they can't find a home. What would happen?" he asked. It was quiet for a while.

"You don't have to answer it." he mumbled. "It's fine. No um. We have two or three months untill our time is up and then we get sent back, he does anyways. I have to go somewhere else." she said.

And I wished she didn't answer that. What twelve year old would want to know he's going to be homeless in a few months if they didn't have a home...

"Are you going to let that happen?" he asked her. I shook my head, "No. I was already planning to run away with him from that home. I refuse to get separated from the only family I have left. In two years I'll be eighteen anyways. If we're still in foster care then I'll adopt him myself." She said.

I remember her coming to the boys room at night to see me. She'd always tell me about how we'd be free and would run away soon.

"You're a really good sister, he's lucky to have you." he said. I guess in a way I was, but she also had her moments.

"Are you two going to kiss now?" it was another voice I recognized it as Matthew's. "No." someone snapped.

end of flashback

Maddi looked like she would cry. "I thought you were sleep." she admitted. I shook my head. "I wasn't. I did have head phones in, but nothing was playing." I told her. She reached her arms out to hug me.

"And that's how you knew we weren't going to get adopted?" she asked me. I nodded looking over her shoulder as we hugged.

"Even though I thought they abandoned us, I still kept their note and I just got mad that Hayes had it because when it wasn't in my pocket I thought I had lost it." I said.

I felt bad for being mean to Hayes because he's nothing, but nice to me.

She got up and we walked back inside. "I promise I'll be a better sister for you." she said. "I love you Mason."