62

Anne's POV

Soon everybody left except Sydney. Sydney and I cooked dinner for the three of us while Jo sat and watched TV.

"I am going out to the backyard" Jo yelled as she slowly walked rather limped her way to the backyard.

"Some fresh air should do her good" I said to Sydney but her face showed worry.

"What's wrong?" I questioned.

"I am not sure if she went out there for fresh air" Sydney spoke and just then Jo entered the room again.

She proceeded to walk down maybe to the basement. A few minutes later Jo emerged again, she seemed a little agitated. Sydney's face showed more concern now.

"What's wrong Syd?" I asked, a little worried now.

"Dr.Mortimer had warned me about Jo's behaviour. He said that Jo might go back to her old ways and take up the old habits and I am afraid that it has started" Sydney said.

Worry settled in the pit of.my stomach as I watched Jo anxiously searching for something. She searched under the couches, the sinks, inside the cupboards and the secret drawers but could not seem to find what she was looking for. With every failed attempt she looked and sounded more and more agitated and irritated. She yelled out loudly in frustration before storming towards the kitchen.

"Where the fuck are they?" she seethed.

"I don't know what you are talking about" I said in a small voice. Her demeanor was very frightening right now.

"Where?" she yelled at Sydney.

"Garbage" Sydney said sternly.

Jo looked livid now, she looked like she could rip off Sydney's head. Her eyes held such fury that I got goosebumps. She yelled in anger and frustration before picking up and throwing the water jar nearby. The glass smashed and the noise echoed.

"I am going out" Jo said and left just like that.

"Does she even realise that she is currently barefoot?" I asked Sydney after I calmed down a little and composed myself.

"No, she is not really herself right now. Her brain is clouded with addiction. She is craving her addiction. She is losing her sense of emotions, she really is going back to her old ways".

"What do you mean?" I asked, very confused now, unable to understand anything.

"Jo has been addicted to cigarettes for a long time now. Earlier she was addicted to smoking, drinking and even abused drugs from time to time. She cannot cope with things and is looking forward to take support from her old friends, the addictions. She was looking for her cigarettes. She thinks that her smoking addictions is the safest addiction as it does not interfere with her logical thinking" Sydney explained.

"So you threw away all her cigarettes and she is out to get them?" I asked.

"Yes"

"Do you realise that she left the house barefooted, in just a tank top and shorts with no money at all and its close to freezing outside?" I stated the facts.

"Shit!" Sydney expressed.

We finished preparing the dinner and setting up the table  and waited for Jo to come back. We went outside a little while ago to search for her but could not find her in any of the supermarkets nearby. The door opened and in walked Jo.
She had some blood on her tank top and her lip was bleeding again. She even managed to get a black eye.

Sydney and I got up quickly and walked towards Jo, full of worry and concern. Jo looked like she was in a trance. She clutched something in her hand, upon taking a closer look, I realised it was a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.