66

The alarm clock beeped once again, I roamed my hand around to find the damn clock but it seemed like the clock had somehow developed legs and ran away from the side table. I opened one eye to take a peek at the table but the clock was nowhere to be found.

The annoying beeps rang through the house. I let out a small yawn as I sat up, now opening both my eyes. I rubbed the corners of my eyes. Stretching my body, I stood up from the couch. 'Where the hell is this damn clock?'

I looked around for the clock but it wasn't in the living room. I went to the kitchen to fetch some water and there it was, beeping away on the kitchen counter. That's when it hit me 'I was supposed to be up and get ready. Today is the day'.

I ran into the bathroom to finish the daily chores then came out. I went to the kitchen, I had to start cooking now. I took out all the required ingredients and prepared some breakfast for Anne and Isabella.

I went to get my all black suit that I had prepared for today. I put on the suit in the bathroom. I came back to the living room to adjust the suits and put on my watch. I noticed Isabella and Anne. When Bella asked me "Who died?" I was taken by surprise. I was surprised and pained at the same time but I quickly covered it up. I lied to the girls about meeting somebody before I left.

I checked my watch once before leaving, I was certainly very late but it's alright, I will drive fast. I drove to my destination very quickly, a small cemetery on the other side of the city, it was as discreet as it could be.

I got out of the car, crossed the road to enter the florist's shop. The bell chimed as I stepped into the store and a pair of warm brown eyes turned to face me with a smile on the face. "Right on time, as always"

I noticed the two bouquets on the cash counter, ready to be rung "You too, Mrs. Welsh"

"Of course, darling, how can I be late with my favourite customer's order?"

The bouquet was rung, I paid in cash and thanked the middle aged lady for the flowers before exiting.  I crossed the road once again to enter the cemetery. I walked along the flowery and grassy trail to reach a big oak tree on the hill that overlooked the city. This was a very peaceful site, it was a great resting place. This was the resting place of my two kids, Jared and Jennifer.

I visit my kids at least twice every year, on each of their death anniversaries. Apart from that I come to visit them when I miss them or I am extremely upset about something. I don't drink in front of them or come here when I am drunk, I feel like an irresponsible parent. Each time I visit them, I tell them a story from my life, today, I decided to tell them the story behind their names.

Even though they don't know me well, I still talk to them to feel closer to them. I don't know if they can hear me or not but I try to make them feel the love that I have for them. I broke down while telling the story. It's a shame that these two could not see the world, could not grow up like other kids, heck, nobody even knew they existed.

But the latter was soon be untrue. Somewhere between my crying session, someone came to support me. I could not hear anything rather my brain chose not to, I was too busy suffering in my sorrows that I hadn't realised who was crying in front of. My sisters Isabella and Sydney were here along with Anne who held me while I cried.

I knew if I stayed and spoke to them they'd ask for answers. I bid goodbye to my kids and walked out without uttering a single word to my companions. The pain in my heart was too intense and their questions would just intensify it further. I drove my car to an old cabin outside the city, I stayed there the rest of the day and headed home late in the night.

Next day

I woke up to the smell of strawberries. I inhaled deeply taking in the sweet scent, my body was warmer than usual. I opened my eyes to find Anne balled up to my side, snuggling to my chest. Her breathing calmed me and put me to ease.