Rooftop Madness

LENA POV

"And the fact that they...they put these flowers up here! Like a..a garden of Eden!" I smile as we stand holding our glasses of wine. The sun has already set, and I marvel at the city below us as I'm feeling more relaxed.

"It's one of my favorite spots, and I don't come here that often, I suppose," Stef smiles softly back at me, and I'm noticing more and more just how much she has changed. I'm more attracted to her than ever, but I'd never let her know this, especially after my statement in the cab.

"I don't get out much, either. Julius tells me to go, and he can watch the kids. But he already does so much for me...both he and Ryan."

"How old are they?"

"Frankie is eight and Corey just turned six."

"How sweet! You probably make a great mom, Lena. No doubt."

"Thank you," I blush as I sip my wine.

"So, what are you up to these days? Besides being a mom?"

I look at her. "I thought you kept tabs on me," I laugh awkwardly.

"Despite what you may think, even though I know a bit more than you do about me, I don't know everything. And I'm trying here, Lena. I really am." She gulps the last of her wine, and I sigh as she turns to go get more.

"Wait. I say so many stupid things." I hold up my glass, and she stares intensely in my eyes. For a moment, I can barely breath and the static in the air between us makes it hard to think. Nothing has changed. Our sexual chemistry is still very much alive, and it scares the shit out of me because if I allow myself to be honest, she's the only one I've opened up to all the way. She's the only one who truly knows me on a deeper level...or so, she did. I finally can breath as she releases her stare and motions me to follow her.

"Let's grab another glass."

———————-

We spend a couple of hours walking around the rooftop making small talk, but I am unable to shake the fact that I owe Stef a massive apology. I'm unable to get the words out of my mouth, even on the cab ride back to my hotel. When it pulls up, I ask the driver to wait a second.

"Stef, I wanted to ask you up to my room. I mean, I'm not...I can't..." I fumble over my words as I can feel her frowning at me big time.

"Lena, I have a girlfriend. You do understand this right?"

"It's not what you think! I just...I need to talk to you."

"Isn't that what we've been doing all evening?" She tilts her head to the side, and I can feel my nerves becoming worse, which means I'm about to bail. But I just can't. Not this time.

"Privately. Away from everyone and everything."

She looks at her watch as she licks her lips and finally nods. "You have about half an hour. Then I need to leave."

————————-

STEF POV

"Nice room! This is 1000 times better then my apartment!" I laugh awkwardly as a look of guilt takes over Lena.

"I didn't mean to offend you about where you live. I just didn't picture you living here."

"No? Where did you picture me living? Mm?"

"Um I don't know. I guess someplace..umm..."

"Nicer?" I laugh taking a seat as she looks down.

"I can't say anything right anymore. I don't know how to talk to you."