Moment Of Truth

(Y/N POV)

I'd felt pity for Charles to be alone at this time of year. So, I begged that I go into the town and buy him a gift. I'd found a large sketchbook, accompanied by five drawing pencils. It was the least I could do for him.

I knocked at the door covered in Christmas decorations. Mrs Taylor opened it, gasping in delight. "Sophie, my dear!" -She hugged me- "Merry Christmas!"
I giggled. "Merry Christmas."
She took me inside by my shoulder. "The school children are at home with their families, but the orphans are enjoying themselves here." she clarified, "Though I think we all know who you're looking for."

"Do you know where he is?" I asked.
She pointed towards the living room. "Just in there."
"Not in that bedroom for once?"
"No. He was willing to spend time with his sister for the day."

I poked my head around the doorway, catching the attention of the orphans. "Sophie!!" they chanted at once, lunging at me. Charles was sat on the couch with Valentino, helping her to unwrap a present. He gazed up at the call of my name, smiling tenderly towards me. "Merry Christmas, Sophie!" A boy called Elijah exclaimed.
"Merry Christmas to you, too." 

Charles tread over, chuckling at the orphan's sudden formation around me. "Alright, that's enough!" I giggled, beckoning them away from me. I scrambled to Charles before they could attack me again, leading into the hallway. I looked down to the floor nervously, clutching the sketchbook at my side.

"So..." He leaned his shoulder against the wall. "Feliz Navidad."
"Feliz Navidad." I tried to copy in his accent.
He peered downwards. "What have you got there?"
"Oh! Well, I thought, while I was downtown, I should buy you a gift." I presented the sketchbook to him, taking the pencils into my other hand. "It's much bigger than your other one, so you can... y'know."

"Y/N..." Charles sighed, gently taking it from me. "Thank you, but... you really didn't have to. I haven't... I haven't bought anything in return..."
"It's okay. It wasn't a big deal, I just thought you could use something to take your mind off of things."
"N- No, I need to return the favour, somehow..."
"Charles, I've got enough as it is today, don't worry!"

"...You have?" he questioned with uncertainty.
"General Schuyler and his family raised money for a new house." I informed him.
"Where?"
"Not much further from here, so I'll still be able to visit."
"...Good."

"In any case, it's good to see you spending time with-"
"The others?" Charles finished. "No. I'm only doing it for Valentino."
"Oh, what's so bad about children?" I teased.
"Says you, the one who can't bare with them. How do you expect to start a family someday?"

I knew he was only joking, but I looked away from him. "S- Sorry, I..."
"No, it's okay." I smiled to reassure him. "I don't... plan on having children, anyway. It's hard for me to explain it, but I just... can't."
"Are you... unable to...?"
"It's not that. I could, but if I did... Everything would be put to risk.

So what about you?" I asked to make things fair.
"Me?"
"Yes. Would you start a family?"
"Well... uh... if my wife wanted to, then..."
"No, I'm asking for your personal opinion. Forget everyone else: if you could start a family at any given moment, would you?"

"...Then yes."

"I'd love to."

~

(Emily POV)

"Doesn't it look adorable on her though?" Sally was perched next to my feet, staring out into the river.
"It does." While out walking Sally, I'd stumbled across John, wandering across the streets. He was aloof, and uncertain where to turn to. Therefore, I offered him some time down the river, where we'd once skated together.