Stupid Dog

(Y/N POV)

Eliza had instantly put off the idea of setting the table and instead organised for a picnic. She wished for us all to "spend time together as a family", and it warmed my heart. I'd never had a family like this before; it had always been my mother and Emily. Then there was Meg... the other sister. It was a mystery how I still hasn't erased her from my mind. I rarely ever seen her, once she'd moved to Australia. She never sent messages. Never called. Never gave us birthday cards. She wanted nothing to do with us. And I hoped I would forget about her soon.

Then, of course, my father. Emily and I grew up not knowing what it was like to have one. Mother never spoke of him, and Grandma forgot about him. But to my knowledge, he was an honourable man. So having Alexander amongst us was... peculiar. I couldn't consider him a father, and I doubt Emily could, either. Though, he was closest to that role for us. As Eliza was now as a mother.

Eliza tucked the food neatly into a basket. She smiled as I poked my head around to greet her. Emily was going rampage in the background, trying to get a leash onto Sally. "Are you alright, dear?" Eliza asked.
"I am. Do you need any help with that?"
"Oh no, no. I wish to treat the three of you."

"Eliza, this is about all of us together. I don't mind-"
"GOTCHA!!" Emily launched into the kitchen and grabbed Sally into her arms. She wrestled the leash around her neck, releasing her to run free again. She dusted her hands victoriously, until there was a loud thump followed by a groan of pain.
"Emily, get that stupid dog." Alexander grunted.
"Sorry!!"

Eliza chuckled. "If I'm honest, I'm glad that she has something to occupy herself with."
"What do you mean?"
"Since John's family arrived, she hasn't been her normal self. Haven't you noticed?"
"I noticed the instant that John left." I joked. "Though that's the way she is, and we cannot tamper with that. She despises losing those who she's close to."
"My, the loss of her parents must have truly discomposed of her..."

She slid the basket onto her arm. Alexander made his way in, rubbing his back furiously. "That dog. That damn, damn dog."
"Language, Alexander." Eliza reminded. "There are children around." She kissed him upon the cheek.
"Not such a child anymore." Alexander signalled to me. "You should be considering marriage, alike Emily."

"Marriage? And to who?"
Alexander raised his eyebrows. "Do we really need to question that?"
I scoffed. "Charles is beguiling. He isn't what he seems. But we're not... romantically involved, just... closely linked towards it."
"So you finally admit towards it!" he teased.
"Hush, dear, you'll make her feel uncomfortable!" Eliza intervened.

Emily stumbled in with Sally, who was busy attempting to lick her chin. "So are we leaving, or...?"

~

"In fact, this was where your uncle proposed!" exclaimed Eliza. She set her eyes on a particular bench and we were all directed to it.
"How romantic, Alexander!" Emily tittered.
"I thought so. A gorgeous winter's day only made it more enticing." he responded confidently.

We all sat, with me and Emily at separate ends. Eliza opened the picnic basket, unravelling a sandwich for us each. I'd discovered that sandwiches had only became popular around 20 years ago, which came as a huge surprise to me.

With Sally at ease, Emily untied her from the leash. Alas, at the instant she recognised she was free, she bounded off in excitement. "Ugh, Sally, no!!" Emily grunted.
"Nice job." I taunted, digging into my food. Emily rolled her eyes, placing her sandwich to one side.

(Emily POV)

She was a stupid dog, wasn't she? I thought I could trust her for this one occasion, but apparently not. After abandoning the sandwich, I scuttled after her, holding my dress up. "Sally, get back!!" She tilted her head around and panted. I remained motionless. "Sally, here." I ordered calmly. I slipped my hand out as an offering, yet she darted away once more. Although now, she aimed for the gathering of children watching a Punch & Judy show.

"SALLY NO COME BACK!!" She weaved into the crowd, rolling on the grass in front of a young girl. "Sorry, excuse me..." I crept past the youngsters, taking Sally by surprise as I dragged her away. "I'm sorry, m-" The girl arose and gazed at Sally. She had rather familiar facial features, but she sprinted away before I could determine anything.

I squirmed my way back out, having what I needed. Nevertheless, I was stopped as a woman approached me. The girl was tugging her along by her hand. "Look! A puppy, mama!" the child burst. "Can we get a puppy?"
I grinned. "You can pet her, if you'd like." The girl silently hesitated. "Don't worry, she won't bite!" She drew her hand out, patting Sally on the head. She tried licking her hand ferociously. The girl laughed merrily.

I faced up to confront her mother.

"Miss Hamilton!"

"...Miss Manning."

"I didn't think I'd be seeing you here!" Martha announced.
"...Nor I... How are you?" I didn't want to make things awkward for us both.
"I'm- We're doing wonderful!" -She took the girl upon the shoulders- "I'd like you to meet my daughter, Frances."
"I like your dog!" Frances complimented. John's personality shined throughout her: even the tiny freckles were evident.

"Thank you. You can play with her, if you would like."
"Would you like that, Franny?" Martha asked. She nodded excitedly. I set Sally onto the ground, allowing her to follow Frances.

"So, how is John?" she wondered. The one question I was avoiding.
"John is... well." I replied bluntly. "I just... I can't express how sorry I am for... for all of this-"
"Hey." Martha held my hand. "You're not at fault. No one is. You two are meant to be, so let it be that way." She smirked. "Though you must promise me one thing."
"What is it?"

"Take good care of each other."

~

°~A Few Hours Later, 11:42pm~°

(Alexander POV)

I didn't want to disturb my sleeping family, and therefore resumed my writings in the dining room. As this day was soon to end, another would start, and we'd be back to the battlegrounds. I wanted to write before it was too late for me to do so.

Suddenly, two pale arms slithered around my shoulders. "Alexander, come, it's almost midnight..." Eliza slurred.
I touched one of her hands. "Soon, my love. I don't want to disrupt your rest."
"Sophie and Emily are in a deep sleep, come." she insisted.

"And so must you. Sleep, my love."
"Not... without you..." she yawned. She lay her head onto mine. "I enjoyed our time today."
I sighed. "As did I."
"...Wouldn't it be nice to have a family of our own?"

I blinked. "This is our family, is it not?"
"Of course. But what if we were to... start anew? Pursue this family to grow further?"
I stuttered. She was ready for this? And at such crucial timing... "My... My love, I..."

She kissed my cheek gently. "Come."

~~~~~~~~~~

When writer's block wants to absolutely destroy you-

Also I'm happy to announce that we'll be getting into the good stuff soon. Possibly after this chapter, in fact-