4 - Beyond the Physical

AND SO IT BEGAN LIKE THAT. Raevanna was given a new identity: Raven Knight, an allied British agent who was in America to aid the SSR in winning the war. Then, Howard and Dr. Erskine gave her a proper lesson on how to behave like a human and what everything was.

During the six months she spent training with the SSR, Raevanna learned that Dr. Erskine was creating a special serum that could give regular humans enhanced strength and endurance. She learned that a man named Johann Schmidt, wanted both the Doctor and his serum, and that he led a scientific branch called HYDRA. The SSR was dedicated to stopping HYDRA by using these "Super Soldiers" and winning the war. Raevanna had no idea humans were even capable of such terrible things, but she did know that it had to stop.

Raevanna's training had been personally overseen by a woman named Margaret Carter, nicknamed Peggy. She was one of the few woman agents in the SSR, so the others thought it would be best if she taught Raevanna how to be the best agent. But once Peggy had been assigned to Raevanna, the two quickly bonded and became fast friends. Raevanna appreciated Peggy's patience when she was slow to understand certain procedures, and the woman explained things to Raevanna in a way that made it easy to understand.

Now, Raevanna sat in a lab with Dr. Erskine, rolling down her sleeves as the man put the needle he had used away.

"I appreciate you doing this, Raevanna," he said, facing her. "Your blood could help enhance my serum, make it even more effective."

"Any way I can be of help." Raevanna shrugged, then flexed her arm. "I just hate needles."

Dr. Erskine chuckled. "Everyone hates needles."

The room was silent as the doctor mixed Raevanna's dark silver blood with his serum. Then, Raevanna smiled and asked, "So have you found him yet?"

This was a question she'd been asking for three months now. Dr. Erskine had been searching the States for the perfect candidate for his serum, but so far he hadn't found the right one yet. Raevanna had grown anxious to know who he would pick, and had asked him several times why he had been dissatisfied with almost every man that walked through the door. Each time, the answer was the same: "I'm not looking for strength. I'm looking for heart."

"I think I have, actually," Dr. Erskine said, much to Raevanna's surprise.

"Really?" Raevanna said. "Who is he?"

"Steven Grant Rogers." He handed her a file folder, and Raevanna opened it before reading its contents. "He's from Brooklyn. He's tried registering for the army several times, but has been denied every time."

"I can see why," Raevanna said as she flipped through the file. "He barely weighs 100 pounds and he's an asthmatic."

"But he has a good heart," Dr. Erskine told her. "And he is a good man. I believe he is the perfect choice."

"That's wonderful, Doctor," Raevanna said with a smile. She handed the folder back to him, then crossed her arms. "So where are you sending him?"

"A military training camp in New Jersey," he said. "The SSR has asked you, Agent Carter, Mr. Stark, the Colonel and myself to go there as well. We will meet the other candidates there."

"Other candidates?" Raevanna repeated. "But if Steven is your choice then why are you-"

"Colonel Phillips insists that I take a look at the others. Those he deems are 'fit to serve.'" Dr. Erskine winked, then grinned and said, "I've done so to humor him. But I've made my decision and I'm standing by it."