20 - Nothing Good Comes From Lies

AFTER A MOMENT, RAEVANNA GOT UP, WALKING OVER TO THE DOOR. "Come on," she said to Steve. "We should get going. There's no telling what Tony might do if he's left by himself."

Steve nodded, also getting up and following her. The two then left the room and walked down the hall towards the lab.

"Steve," Raevanna said suddenly, stopping in the middle of the hall.

Steve stopped as well, turning to face her. "Yeah?"

"I want you to promise me something," Raevanna said. Steve stepped up to her and nodded, so Raevanna continued, "If there ever comes a point where I lose control, and you have to choose between me and the team, promise me you'll do whatever it takes to stop me and save the team."

Steve frowned, concerned and shocked by her words. "But you said–"

"I know what I said." Raevanna looked down and sighed before looking up at him and kissing him. Then she leaned back, closing her eyes. "Please, Steve. Just promise you'll stop me." Steve was quiet, so she added softly, "Even if it means you have to kill me."

Steve recoiled from her, shocked. "What? No, Raevanna, I won't–"

"Please," Raevanna asked, her voice barely a whisper and laced with desperation and sadness.

Steve met her eyes. He loved Raevanna more than anything, and the last thing he wanted to do was have to kill her. But she was right; the safety of the planet came first, and if it was compromised because of her, he would have to stop her.

So he nodded, his lips in a tight line. "Alright. I promise."

With a relieved sigh, Raevanna nodded, lowering her head. Then, she looked up at him and took his hand. "Come on. We should go."

The two continued down the hall, the tension between them obvious. Raevanna was silent because she had no idea if she could control what was happening to her, and it scared her to know that she might wind up becoming the enemy if things got out of hand. Steve, however, was silent because he was upset and afraid that, if it came to it, he would have to kill the love of his life, and he could never live with himself if that had to happen.

The two walked inside the lab, still hand in hand. However, they let go of each other when they arrived, entering just in time to see Tony poke Dr. Banner with a miniature electrical prod.

"Ow!" Dr. Banner yelped, jolting at the sharp pain.

"Hey!" Steve shouted in anger and surprise. 

Tony looked at Dr. Banner closely. "Nothing?"

"Are you nuts?!" Steve snapped.

Tony ignored him, still talking to Dr. Banner. "You really have got a lid on it, haven't you?" Tony asked him. "What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"

"Is everything a joke to you?" Raevanna demanded.

Tony shrugged. "Funny things are."

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny," Steve said, then winced at Dr. Banner and added apologetically, "No offense, doctor."