8 - The Right Partner

IT TOOK THEM AWHILE, BUT THEY MADE IT BACK TO THE CAMP. Raevanna, Steve, and Bucky were in the lead, watching as a crowd of soldiers stood at the entrance to greet them. Most of the freed soldiers were holding the weapons they had taken from fallen HYDRA soldiers, while others rode in several tanks that they had hijacked from the base.

Once they were in the camp, Raevanna and Steve walked over to the middle of the camp, where Colonel Phillips and Peggy were standing. Peggy seemed happy to see them, but the colonel's face was expressionless.

Steve saluted to Colonel Phillips, then said, "Some of these men need medical attention."

The medic was called at once, rushing over to take care of the injured men. Then, Steve turned back to Colonel Phillips. "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

Raevanna faced him, shocked by his words. "Steve."

Colonel Phillips stared at Steve for a heartbeat of silence before he sighed. "That won't be necessary."

Steve couldn't help but give a small smile. "Yes, sir."

Colonel Phillips left without another word. Raevanna watched him go, then turned to Peggy and gave her a warm hug.

Peggy stepped back and looked between Raevanna and Steve. "You're late," she said.

Steve grinned, holding up the broken transponder. "Couldn't call our ride."

Raevanna smiled, looking up at Steve, who grinned back at her. She had to admit, she liked being around him. Besides Dr. Erskine, Peggy and Howard, Steve was one of the few humans she actually felt comfortable with. To Raevanna, she felt like she could be herself around him, and could tell him anything without fear of him judging her for it.

"Hey!" Bucky suddenly shouted, calling everyone's attention. "Let's hear it for Knightwing and Captain America!"

Even though the soldiers around them erupted into cheers and applause, Raevanna's nose crinkled in distaste. "That's not my name," she said to Steve.

Steve just shook his head, the smile never leaving his face. "Relax. It suits you."

Raevanna continued to stare at him, smiling again. She had to admit, Knightwing did have a nice ring to it. But, if it had come from any other person, she probably wouldn't have liked it.

══════════ ◦◦◦✥◦◦◦ ══════════

Raevanna let out a soft huff, blowing air out of her cheeks as she listened to Steve revise the map they had seen back at the HYDRA camp, hidden in the room where they had found Bucky. They, along with Peggy, Colonel Phillips, and several other members of the SSR were in their base, going over their next plans based on the map.

"The fifth one was here in Poland," Raevanna corrected Steve, pointing to the map.

"Right," Steve said. "And the sixth one was... about... here." He marked another spot on the map. "Thirty, forty miles west of the Maignot Line." Glancing up at Peggy, he added, "I just got a quick look."

Peggy shrugged. "Well, nobody's perfect."

Raevanna grinned, and she and Steve stepped up to the larger map of Europe that sat in the middle of the base.

"These are the weapon factories we know about," Raevanna said, putting her hands on the map. "Sergeant Barnes said that HYDRA shipped all the parts to another facility that isn't on this map."

Colonel Phillips nodded, then addressed Peggy. "Agent Carter, coordinate with MI6. I want every Allied eyeball looking for that main HYDRA base."

As Peggy, Raevanna, and Steve followed the Colonel to the west end of the base, Raevanna asked, "What about us?"