31 - Call It a Resume

"AND YOU'RE SURE THAT THIS SAM GUY WILL HELP US?" RAEVANNA ASKED.

Morning had come, and the four fugitives were now on their way to the house of a man known as Sam Wilson. Steve had told Raevanna and Blake that he had met the man while he was out on one of his runs, and had seemed like a good man. Now, all they could hope was that Sam would be able to help them.

"Honestly, I'm not sure," Steve admitted. "But I'm hoping he will."

"Well," Blake muttered. "That doesn't instill me with the utmost confidence."

Raevanna lightly slapped the woman's arm. "Hey, it's better than nothing."

The four of them stepped up to Sam's door, and after a moment Steve knocked on it. There was a few heartbeats of silence before a dark-skinned man Raevanna assumed was Sam opened the door, looking very surprised to see the four beat-up, dust-covered fugitives on his doorstep.

"Hey, man," Sam said in confusion.

"I'm sorry about this," Steve said. "We need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," Natasha added.

Sam paused for a moment before replying. "Not everyone." Then, he opened the door wider, allowing the four to enter before shutting the door behind them and closing the blinds.

"Showers are down the hall," Sam said to them. "You guys can clean up there, you look like you had a building dropped on you."

"We did," Raevanna told him.

Sam raised an eyebrow, then turned away and chuckled. "Alright, then..."

Once he was gone, the four cleaned up and washed their clothes. Raevanna took the longest, and when she was done she sighed, realizing she needed someone to talk to. So she filled the sink with water before waving her hand over it, and after a moment her reflection rippled, changing into the face of her mentor, Cirrus.

"Raevanna," Cirrus said with a nod. "I assume all is going well? It has been a while since we last met."

"Cirrus, please," Raevanna said with a grin. "It's been awhile for me, you know it's only been a month for you."

"That is true," Cirrus said, also grinning. "But I thought you knew what jokes were."

"Oh, was that a joke?" Raevanna quipped back, her playful grin growing. "So you're making jokes now?"

"Is it not obvious that I am?" Cirrus said. Raevanna stuck her tongue out at him, and he winked at her before his face grew serious. "Something is troubling you."

Raevanna sighed. "You know me so well." Glancing down, she huffed before saying, "I just found out that the place I work at... the people I've been fighting with... has been filled with evil for years. And now these evil people have been trying to kill us for the past couple days. It's hard, knowing that what I've been fighting for has been a lie."

"Well," Cirrus said. "That certainly does complicate things. But I assume that there are still people who are fighting alongside you?" When Raevanna nodded, he nodded back and went on, "Then that is all that matters. When the world and everything you know is crumbling around you, as long as there are good people around you, those who you trust and share your ideals with, all is not truly lost."

Raevanna smiled gratefully. "Wise and insightful, as always."

Cirrus smiled back. "But that is not all that is troubling you, is it."

It was a statement, not a question. Raevanna exhaled softly, nodding at him. "Yeah. I, uh... I'm feeling conflicted."

"With the man you severed ties with?"