26 - Apart For Now

SEVERAL WEEKS WENT BY, AND THE CITY SLOWLY BEGAN TO REBUILD. And ever since the fight that was being called the Battle of New York, there had been various reports of what had happened. Some people agreed that the Avengers did good, and that they had protected the city. Others believed, however, that it was their cause, and that they needed to be held responsible.

Raevanna was just glad the city was safe. Though ever since her near-death experience, she'd been afraid that something would happen, but she knew that for now, things were peaceful — especially with Gurak's death.

Raevanna still couldn't believe that he was gone, and it had been the team who had killed him. Gurak was a powerful sorcerer as well as a fearsome warrior — not to mention he was also an Orc — which meant he would've been very hard to kill. But the combined efforts of the Avengers had taken him down, and Raevanna would never have to worry about him again.

But there were other threats out there. Raevanna knew now that she had made a lot of enemies, and they wouldn't stop until she and everyone she cared about was dead, including Steve. And that meant that every moment she was with him put him in danger.

"Rave, you okay?" Steve asked, bringing her out of her thoughts.

Raevanna turned around and smiled at him. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just a little worried."

"About what?"

Raevanna shrugged, turning back to the mirror. "Random things, I guess."

Steve walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind and resting his head on her shoulder. "Well, stop worrying. Everything's fine."

"Yeah, I know." Raevanna sighed softly. "Let's just get going, the others are expecting us."

The two left their apartment, descending down the stairs to the street out front. Steve got onto his motorcycle, revving up the engine before Raevanna spoke.

"Can I ride with you to Central Park?" she asked.

Steve turned to her, raising an eyebrow. "You serious? I mean, I thought you'd prefer to fly."

Raevanna shook her head. "When I fly, I fly alone. But when we ride, we ride together."

Steve grinned, and Raevanna smiled back before climbing onto the back of Steve's bike and wrapping her arms around him. Then, Steve rode off, heading for Central Park.

As they rode, Raevanna rested her head on his shoulder, feeling the wind blow her hair back. This was a feeling she had only recently gotten used to, and she liked it. It reminded her of flying, only low to the ground, and she was vertical instead of horizontal. True, she had heard of the dangers of being on a motorcycle, but she didn't care. She wasn't much of a car person, but she adored riding motorcycles.

They arrived at Central Park ­shortly after they left. Tony, Bruce, Natasha, and Clint, as well as Dr. Selvig, were already there, waiting for Steve and Raevanna as well as Thor and Loki. The team grinned when they saw the two, but as the couple dismounted from the bike, only Natasha made note of the fact that Raevanna didn't take Steve's hand like she usually did.

"Hey, guys," Raevanna greeted, giving Natasha, Clint, Bruce, and Dr. Selvig warm hugs. "Good to see you."

"Likewise," Natasha agreed with a nod.