5 - A Good Man

LATER THAT NIGHT, STEVE WAS SITTING ON HIS BUNK, READING A BOOK. But he could barely focus on the words, since there was only one thing on his mind: Agent Knight.

He knew he should've been preparing for the procedure tomorrow, but he couldn't get her out of his head. There was something about her that was just... different. Steve couldn't put his finger on what it was, but the way she held herself, the way she acted — it was unlike any woman he had seen before (even though he didn't have much experience in that department). She was mischievous and intelligent with a strong sense of self-worth, and it was obvious that she knew that about herself. To most it would appear as if it came from being born into a wealthy family and a high education, but Steve could tell that wasn't it. It had to be because of where she came from — somewhere exotic that most people probably didn't know about. But that couldn't have been the only reason, either, since there was this mystical aura about her that couldn't come from being a native to another continent. She was just so... ethereal. It was almost inhuman.

Steve sighed. I'm overthinking it, he told himself. It's probably just cause she's from a different country.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door, and moments later Dr. Erskine poked his head in. "May I?" he asked.

Steve nodded, gesturing for him to enter. "Yeah."

Dr. Erskine walked in, carrying two bottles of schnapps and a couple glasses. "Can't sleep?"

Steve shrugged. "I got the jitters, I guess."

Dr. Erskine laughed. "Me too."

It was silent for a moment before Steve spoke up, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Just one?" Dr. Erskine said, sitting down in front of Steve.

Steve looked up at him. "Why me?"

Dr. Erskine nodded. "I suppose that is the only question that matters." He looked down at the bottles he had brought with him. "This is from Augsburg," he said. "My city. So many people forget that the first country that the Nazi's invaded was their own." He looked up at Steve. "You know, after the last war the... my people struggled. They... they felt weak. They felt small. And then Hitler comes along with the marching and the big show and the flags and the... and the..." He waved his hand. "And he... he hears of me, my work and he finds me. And he says, 'You.' He says, 'You will make us strong.' Well, I am not interested. So he sends the head of HYDRA, his research division. A brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Now, Schmidt is a member of the inner circle and he's ambitious. He and Hitler share a passion for occult power and Teutonic myth. Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers. But for Schmidt, it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is a great power hidden in the earth, left here by the Gods, waiting to be seized by a superior man. So when he hears about my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt must become that superior man."

"Did it make him stronger?" Steve asked.

"Yeah." Dr. Erskine sighed. "But, there were other effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside. So, good becomes great. Bad becomes worse." He pointed at Steve. "This is why you were chosen. Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion."

Steve smiled softly. "Thanks. I think."

Dr. Erskine poured two drinks, handing one to Steve. "Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man."