52 - Trouble in Lagos

RAEVANNA! ASH CALLED OUT, DARTING BACK INTO THE ROOM. There's something you have to hear!

Raevanna looked up, wiping her red and puffy eyes as she squinted at Ash before planting her head back into the pillow. "I said leave me alone, Ash."

No, you don't understand, Ash insisted, running up to the side of the bed. It's about that woman, Rodi.

Raevanna's head snapped up so she could see him. "You mean the same one who cost me my relationship? Yeah, I don't really want to bring her up again."

Raevanna, she set you up, Ash told her. She works with this man named Zemo, she made sure Steve saw you with her so the two of you would fight. They're trying to split you two and the Avengers up.

Raevanna abruptly sat up, shock washing over her features. "Wait, what?"

Yeah. Ash nodded. They called it Phase One.

Raevanna met his eyes. "Are you serious?"

Of course I am, you know I can't lie, Ash replied.

Raevanna sighed, shaking her head; she knew something was off about that woman. "Okay, so what else did you find out?"

Not much else, Ash said. But I did find out that Rodi isn't her real name. When Raevanna raised an eyebrow in surprise, he explained, That woman's real name is Aphrodite. Like-

"The goddess of love," Raevanna finished with a nod. "That makes sense, her abilities seem to revolve around infatuation and persuasion."

I don't know who she is or what she is, Ash said. But she's obviously not human.

Raevanna nodded again in agreement, lowering her head. "I agree. And I need to tell Steve." Then, without another word, she left the room, leaving so she could tell Steve what Ash had found.

Raevanna walked down the hall, her heart going up to her throat as she grew closer to Steve's room. She was worried that he wouldn't listen to her; that he would ignore what she had been told out of his anger towards her. Raevanna just had to hope that he would listen.

Raevanna paused in front of Steve's door, her bottom lip between her teeth as she thought for a moment. Was this a good idea, talking to him so soon? Would he even want to hear what she had to say?

After a moment of thought, Raevanna took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Steve opened the door a few moments later, his confused expression morphing into a frown when he saw her standing there.

"What do you want, Raven?" Steve asked coldly, crossing his arms.

Raevanna's heart skipped a beat when he used her pseudonym instead of her real name, but she quickly put it aside and spoke to him. "Look, I found something out about that woman."

"You mean the one you just kissed?" Steve rolled his eyes. "I really don't want to bring her up again."

"No, you don't understand," Raevanna said. "She's not who I thought she was, she put me under some kind of spell-"

"You really are trying to sell this, aren't you?" Steve said, cutting her off. "Enough with the spell, Raevanna. There's no such thing as someone who can make you fall in love with them just by looking at them."

"Yes, there is," Raevanna insisted. "Her name is Aphrodite, like the goddess of love. She did something to me, Steve, I know she did-"

"Enough, Raevanna!" Steve snapped. "This nonsense about a goddess of love and putting you under some kind of spell has got to stop!" Raevanna was silent, staring at him in shock, and he huffed dryly, shaking his head. "Your aunt warned me about my loyalty. If only she had known... she needed to worry about you."