55 - Run Like the Wind

RAEVANNA, NOW DRESSED IN HER OLD BLACK SUIT, TOOK A DEEP BREATH AS SHE STEPPED INTO BUCKY'S BUCHAREST APARTMENT WITH STEVE. She was beyond nervous, knowing that the chances of them walking away as free people were highly unlikely. The address Sharon had given them was the exact same address Blake had given Raevanna, which meant that the police were most likely on their way to kill Bucky. She and Steve were treading on unsteady ground by going to warn Bucky, made worse by their refusal to sign the Sokovia accords.

Steve, in his dark blue, armored suit with his shield on his arm, looked around at the apartment as Raevanna stepped further into the room. There was a mattress with disheveled covers and various bits of cheap looking furniture, and the kitchen and bedroom were in the same room. Walking forward, Steve noticed a notebook on top of the fridge, so he picked it up and opened it, seeing that there were tabs of varying colors sticking out from amongst the pages.

"Heads up, you two," Sam said over comms, watching over the building from the roof. "German Special Forces, approaching from the south."

Steve nodded. "Understood."

Suddenly the door opened. Raevanna and Steve spun around, seeing Blake and Bucky standing in the doorway. Blake's eyes were wide as she stared at the two, but Bucky quickly pushed her behind him, almost as if he was protecting her from them.

"Blake?" Steve said in shock, his eyes flitting between her and Bucky.

Blake didn't reply; she simply looked down, her pale blue eyes clouded with guilt and shame.

Steve shook his head, slowly facing Bucky. "Do you know me?"

Bucky relaxed slightly, seeming to realize that they weren't going to hurt Blake. Then, he stared at Steve for a moment. "You're Steve." He nodded faintly at Raevanna. "And you're Raven. I read about you in a museum."

"They've set the perimeter," Sam told them.

"I know you're nervous," Steve said to Bucky. "And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying."

"I wasn't in Vienna," Bucky said, shaking his head. "I don't do that anymore."

"They're entering the building," Sam warned.

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now," Raevanna told Bucky. "And they're not planning on taking you alive."

Bucky sighed, nodding faintly. "That's smart. Good strategy."

"They're on the roof," Sam said. "I'm compromised."

Raevanna tensed as she heard the sound of armed cops running up the stairs. They were running out of time.

"This doesn't have end in a fight, Buck," Steve said.

Bucky shook his head, taking his glove off his metal hand. "It always ends in a fight."

"Five seconds," Sam warned them.

"You pulled us from the river," Steve said to Bucky. "Why?"

"I don't know," Bucky replied.

"Three seconds!" Sam said frantically.

"Blake, get down," Raevanna said to her friend.

Blake frowned. "What? Why?"

"Yes, you do," Steve told Bucky.

"Breach! Breach! Breach!" Sam shouted.

"Blake, get DOWN!" Raevanna shouted, lunging and grabbing her friend before throwing her to the ground, just narrowly knocking her out of the way of a grenade as it crashed through the window. Bucky kicked it to Steve, who smothered it with his shield, and then moments later the door shuddered violently as a battering ram slammed against the door. Bucky shielded himself with the mattress against an attack from the window, and Blake shoved Raevanna away before leaping to her feet and kicking a table towards the door, blocking it. As cops swung in on cables, Steve pulled a rug from under a policeman, sending him flying, and then Bucky slammed another policeman into the wall.