64 - History Lesson

RAEVANNA LOOKED AT THE FAERY, HER WORDS SLOWLY AND FULLY REGISTERING IN HER HEAD. She couldn't believe what she was hearing; her sister was alive?

Without another word, the older faery wrapped her arms around Raevanna in a warm hug. Raevanna was initially shocked by the gesture, but after a moment, she reciprocated, hugging her sister back and burying her face in her shoulder.

"I knew you were alive," the older faery said softly. "Even when I couldn't find you, I knew in my heart that you were still out there." She held Raevanna out in front of her. "And look at you. You've grown so strong and so beautiful."

"I..." Raevanna shook her head. "I don't understand. How are you alive? How did you find me? What are you doing here, why do you sound so-"

"Slow down, Spectra," the faery said with a laugh, holding up a hand to stop her. "I'll answer all your questions soon, but first we should get out of here."

"Spectra?" Raevanna repeated. "I think you've got it wrong, my name is Raevanna."

The faery's eyes went wide, and she nodded as something obviously dawned on her. "Right. You see, Spectra is your birth name. It's the name our parents gave you before they died." Gesturing for Raevanna to follow, she added, "Now, c'mon. We better get going."

Raevanna frowned. "But the maze is sealed. How can we get out?"

"Have you ever thought about just flying out?" the faery said. "We have wings for a reason."

Raevanna looked down sheepishly. "I... I didn't know that was possible."

Her sister laughed. "It's fine, not very many do."

She then spread her wings, leading Raevanna to do the same. They flapped their wings until they gained enough power, then sprang up into the air, flying out of the maze and leaving the deathly place behind. Then, once they were a safe distance away from the entrance, they landed, and Raevanna sighed in relief. She was extremely thankful to be out of that place.

"Come on," her sister said, jerking her head in the direction of the beach. "There's something I wanna show you." She then walked off, and after a moment, Raevanna followed.

"So how much of me do you remember?" the older faery asked as they slowly walked through the trees.

Raevanna shrugged. "Up until two days ago, nothing."

Her sister raised an eyebrow. "What happened two days ago?"

"I had a dream," Raevanna said. "Of me. And you. And our parents. It led me to come back here."

"You mean you've been to the maze before?"

Raevanna shook her head, remembering that her sister had no idea about the life she'd been living. "No, not the maze. Back to Elyon."

Her sister frowned. "You mean you left the island?"

Raevanna nodded. "A lot's happened in the past few years. I left the island after a human crashed here. He spoke of a global war going on in the human land, so I went with him to help stop it. And when I got there, I-" She stopped herself, realizing that her sister may not approve of her relationship with Steve.

"What?" her sister asked. "What is it, what happened?" When Raevanna shook her head, the older faery nudged her ribs. "Come on, now you have to tell me."

Raevanna lowered her head. "I met someone."

Her sister was quiet for a moment. "You mean a human?"

Raevanna nodded, then looked up and said, "And before you say anything, I know how we're supposed to feel about humans, but they're not all evil. Steve is a good man, with a kind heart. He always has been."