82 - How Times Have Changed

RAEVANNA WAS NUMB AS SHE RETURNED TO THE APARTMENT.

She wanted to believe that she was dreaming, but she knew she wasn't. As much as she didn't want to be, she was pregnant, and it was with Steve. Raevanna loved him, yes - more than life itself. But she was terrified about this, and not just because it meant she was going to have a child. She was terrified for the child, and what their heritage would mean in regards to where they fit in. And on top of that, it opened up a whole new world of dangers and challenges that she was going to have to face. 

Raevanna wasn't going to give up the baby; she made that decision right away. She couldn't bring herself to even though she was scared. As much as she respected every woman's right to do so and understood that for some of them, it was a matter of life and death, Raevanna couldn't kill something so innocent, something that had done nothing to her except exist. She just couldn't. 

So as she pushed open the door to the apartment, she had no idea how she was going to tell Steve. Should she even tell him at all? It wasn't like she could hide it forever; he would find out eventually. But things had finally started to settle for them, despite the chaos and despair that blanketed the world like snow. Bringing something like this up would only make things worse. 

"Everything alright?" Steve said as Raevanna walked in. "You took awhile." 

Raevanna forced a smile, nodding at him. "Yeah, I'm fine. I was just looking for something, didn't find it." 

Steve stood up, walking over to her with a frown. Raevanna froze, fear creeping in as he stepped closer. He knew her too well, and he knew when she was faking being fine. So she looked up at him, trying her best to hide her guilt as he put the back of his hand on her forehead. 

"You have a fever," Steve said. "Is that why you went to the drugstore, cause you're sick?" 

Raevanna inwardly sighed in relief, nodding at him. "Yeah. I'm sorry, I didn't want to worry you." 

Steve smiled, nodding at her. "Go lay down, then, and I'll make you something. You can use the bed and I'll sleep on the couch, just so we both don't get sick." 

Trust me, you won't, Raevanna thought to herself. But she didn't say it out loud; instead, she shook her head. "No, I'm okay. It's just a stomach bug, I'll be fine in a month or so." 

Steve raised an eyebrow. "A month?" 

Raevanna nodded. "It's cause I'm a faery," she lied. "We get sick for longer. But don't worry about me, I'll be okay." 

"Are you sure?" Steve asked. 

Raevanna nodded again. "Yeah, I'm sure. It'll be fine." 

Steve was silent for a moment, staring at her with a slight frown. But then his face softened, and he sighed before nodding back. "Okay. But if you get really sick you're gonna stay in bed and rest, alright?" 

Raevanna smiled at him. "Alright." She then gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before adding, "I'm gonna go finish looking, I think I might be close to finding Diana." 

Without waiting for a reply, she walked down the hall and into the office, sitting down in front of the computer before turning it on and going back to work. But she had been working for only ten minutes before a location marker popped up on the screen, pulsing with red light, and Raevanna's eyes went wide as she realized she had finally found her. 

"Holy shit," Raevanna breathed, leaning back in her seat and smoothing back her hair with one hand. "I actually did it." 

After a moment, she looked up at the clock, seeing that it was still pretty early. If she left now, and took a Clessibis Current, she'd be there in minutes, and could make it back before it got dark. So Raevanna immediately sent the location to her phone, then got up and rushed into the living room.