9 - Just to Be With You

THE FOLLOWING DAY, STEVE WALKED THROUGH THE SSR BASE, HEADING FOR THE LAB SO HE COULD TEST THE NEW EQUIPMENT. Though half his mind was on the task at hand, the other half was on Raevanna, and what had happened the night before.

Steve was positive that she was going to kiss him. But why had she stopped herself? Had she been having second thoughts? Or was there something else on her mind; something that had troubled her? Steve's mind went to the possibility that she had stopped herself because she knew she would be leaving after the war, but he had a feeling that he would be able to convince her to stay — at least for a little bit longer. Still, he shook his head and pushed the thoughts out of his mind, telling himself that he was overthinking it.

Eventually Steve arrived at the waiting room, where a blonde woman was sitting at a desk, reading a newspaper.

"Excuse me," Steve said to her. "I'm looking for Mr. Stark."

"He's in with Colonel Phillips," the woman replied, seemingly uninterested as she continued to read. But when she looked up and saw Steve, her face brightened, and she said with a smile, "Of course, you're welcome to wait."

Steve nodded, then walked over to the desk and perched on the edge of it to wait.

"I read about what you did," the woman told him, holding up the newspaper that showed his rescue mission.

Steve looked at it in surprise. "Oh! The... yeah!" He nodded. "Well, that's, you know? Just doin' what needed to be done."

"Sounded like more than that," the woman answered, her voice lowering an octave. "You saved nearly four hundred men."

Steve blushed. "Really, it's not a big deal."

The woman just walked up to him. "Tell that to their wives."

Steve gulped nervously as she approached him, getting up off the desk and backing up. "Uh... I don't think they were all married."

"You're a hero," the woman told him.

"Well, that... you know?" Steve stammered out. "That... that depends on the definition of it really."

The woman grabbed a hold of his tie, pulling him closer. "The women of America, they owe you their thanks," she said. "And uh..." She looked around. "Seeing as they're not here..." Without another word she dragged him to the corner of the office. However, just as she started to kiss him, Steve pushed her away.

"Listen, you seem nice," Steve stammered. "But there's already someone – I mean, I think there's someone – I'm not sure yet, but I'm hoping that–"

"Captain!" came the voice of Peggy, causing Steve and the woman to separate. "We're ready for you. If you're not otherwise occupied." Clearly annoyed, the British woman turned and walked ahead.

Steve immediately chased after her. "Agent Carter, wait."

Peggy didn't even spare him a glance. "Looks like the partner you found wasn't Raven after all."

Steve's heart twisted at her words. "Peggy, that's not what you thought it was."

"I don't think anything, Captain," Peggy replied, glancing at him over her shoulder. "Not one thing. You always wanted to be soldier and now you are. Just like all the rest. But I'll have you know that Raven is a rare woman, and not just because she's a faery. She's beautiful and gentle and loyal, and she deserves more than that. And I care about her too much to see her heart break because of your carelessness."

Steve huffed. "Hey, I care about Raevanna, too," he said, causing Peggy to stop and look at him. "A lot. She deserves more than just me, she deserves the world."