41 - Party Time

A FEW DAYS LATER, IT WAS TIME FOR THE PARTY. Raevanna stood in front of the mirror, her arms wrapped around her body as she looked at her reflection. After a moment, she shook her head uncomfortably, her dark hair swishing back and forth in time with the movement. "This is so weird," she muttered.

She heard a knock on the door moments later, and she turned around, putting on a small smile as Steve pushed open the door.

"So," Raevanna said to him. "Do I look okay?"

Steve smiled at her, leaning against the doorframe. Raevanna was now dressed in a black lace romper with a shorts-like bottom and strips of black fabric across the thighs. Over it was an oversized black, white, and gray sweater/poncho that had deep slits on the sides, and a plunging neckline that caused the fabric to hang off her right shoulder. She had tied her hair up into a small bun, and had matched the outfit with silver hoop earrings and two gold necklaces. Her makeup was simple but effective - nude colored lipstick and winged eyeliner. To Steve, she looked amazing, but he could see the uncertainty in her eyes.

"You look more than okay," Steve said, walking towards her. "You look incredible."

"I feel so... exposed," Raevanna said, shaking her head again. "I shouldn't have listened to Tony, I should go change-"

"Raevanna," Steve said gently but sternly, taking her hands. "Stop worrying, you look fine. Now, c'mon, let's go. We're already running late."

Raevanna smiled, nodding at him in agreement. Then, she turned to Jolarys, who sat on the couch watching television, and said to the girl, "You're sure you don't want to come?"

Jolarys shook her head. "No, I'm okay. You go have fun."

Raevanna gave Steve a worried look. Even though Jolarys had only been at their apartment for a few days and was adjusting well, she had still refused to go outside. Raevanna knew that she was most likely still scared, and that these things took time. But if Jolarys wasn't even gonna give it a chance, how could she learn that the outside world wasn't as scary as she thought?

"Relax, she's gonna be fine," Steve assured his girlfriend. "Let's get going."

Raevanna nodded reluctantly, and they left the apartment, stepping out into the cool night air. Then, Raevanna took a step into the street and stuck two fingers in her mouth before whistling loudly, and a few seconds later a taxi pulled up to the side of the road.

"Don't tell me Natasha taught you how to do that," Steve said, following Raevanna with an impressed look.

Raevanna grinned, shaking her head. "No, Blake did."

Steve huffed in amusement. "Of course she did."

They climbed into the taxi, which took them to Avengers Tower. Once they had arrived, Raevanna paid the driver and got out, and then she and Steve went inside to the party.

Even though Raevanna hadn't really been to that many parties, she could tell that this one was a nice one. Not just the Avengers had been invited, but also their associates and acquaintances, along with mutual friends and their dates. They were all socializing, with drinks in their hands and smiles on their faces. The music was lively and upbeat but not overpowering and overwhelming, and the overall atmosphere was warm and inviting.

"Wow," Raevanna said as she looked around. "This is impressive."

"Coming from you to me, I'll take that compliment," a voice said.

The couple looked up to see that it was Tony, who was walking towards them with a smile on his face. Raevanna smiled back as the man approached; it figured it would've been him.