7 - Rescue Mission

LATER THAT NIGHT, RAEVANNA, PEGGY AND STEVE SAT IN A PLANE PILOTED BY HOWARD, FLYING TO AUSTRIA. Raevanna had arranged for Howard to secretly fly them to the camp where the men were being held, so they could plan a rescue mission. Raevanna hated flying in airplanes (she'd much rather be flying in the air herself) but she needed to be there to debrief Steve for where they were going.

"The HYDRA camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges," Peggy said, pointing to the map in front of them. "It's a factory of some kind."

"We should be able to drop you right on the doorstep," Howard added.

"Just get me as close as you can," Steve told him. After a moment, he went on, "You know, the three of you are gonna be in a lot of trouble at the lab."

"And you won't?" Raevanna asked.

Steve shrugged, pulling out his gun. "Where I'm goin', if anybody yells at me I can just shoot 'em."

"They will undoubtedly shoot back," Raevanna reminded him.

Steve knocked on the shield he had brought — the same one from his Captain America costume. "Well, let's hope it's good for somethin'."

There was a few minutes of silence before Howard turned around slightly in the seat, addressing Peggy. "Agent Carter, if we're not in too much of a hurry I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue."

Peggy's face reddened in embarrassment, and she looked awkwardly at Steve, who was getting ready to parachute down to the camp. Ignoring Howard's words, she told Steve, "Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen. He's mad enough to brave this airspace, we're lucky to have him."

Steve glanced between the two and asked awkwardly, "So are you two...? Do you...?" He waved his hand in a circle. "Fondue?"

Peggy ignored Steve's akward and confused rambling and kept going, handing him a device and saying, "This is your transponder. Activate it when you're ready and the signal will lead us straight to the two of you." 

"Wait, the two of you?" Steve repeated. Then, he looked at Raevanna, raising an eyebrow. 

"Yes, the two of us," Raevanna said to him. "I'm coming with you."

Steve shook his head. "No way. It's too dangerous."

Raevanna's smile didn't fade, but the huff she let out was more amused than joking. "You're acting like you actually have a say in this."

Steve shook his head again. "But Raevanna–"

"I'm coming, Steve," Raevanna said firmly. "And nothing you say is going to stop me."

Steve exhaled softly, realizing that there was no use arguing with her. "Alright, fine." Lifting his transponder, he said to Peggy, "Are you sure this thing works?"

Howard chuckled. "It's been tested more than you, pal."

Suddenly, a huge explosion went off outside, rattling the plane and causing Howard to swerve out of the way. Then, cannons began to fire at the aircraft, which Howard was barely able to dodge.

As the plane was attacked, Raevanna gripped the sides of the walls, trying to steady herself. Then, Steve glanced back at her before he went to the opened door of the plane and prepared to jump.

"Get back here!" Peggy shouted. "We're taking you all the way in!"

Steve glanced back at her. "As soon as I'm free, you turn this thing around and get the hell outta here!"