21 - Falling Fortress

RAEVANNA GROANED, PUSHING HERSELF TO HER HANDS AND KNEES AS HER HEAD SWAM AND HER EARS RANG. As she moved, white hot pain flashed through her side, and she cried out, crunching her body to mask her discomfort. Then, looking down, she saw the sharp metal shard embedded in her side, with dark silver blood seeping out of the wound.

Closing her eyes and gritting her teeth, Raevanna put one hand on the shard, hissing and groaning in pain as she slowly pulled it out. Once it was free, she tossed it to the ground, then pressed her hand against the wound to stop the bleeding before looking over at Steve, who was on his feet beside Tony.

Tony suddenly put his finger to his ear, saying, "I'm on it!" before running off. Steve started to follow, but stopped when he saw Raevanna a few feet away, clutching her side as she shuffled over to him.

"Hey, you okay?" Steve asked. "You're not hurt, are you?"

Raevanna bit through the pain, straightening up and nodding her head. "I'm fine. Just sore and a little winded."

Steve nodded. "Alright. Let's go, then, Stark needs our help."

Raevanna and Steve turned and ran through a dim, debris filled hall. Then, they reached the door to the port side of the ship, and Steve pushed open the door with all his strength. In the next room, there were SHIELD tech in full oxygen masks, shooting fire extinguishers and covering from sparks. However, their efforts were practically pointless, since the damage was so great that they were unable to do anything. Engine Three was totally dead, and a large chunk of the port side was torn off.

"Stark, we're here!" Steve said, handing Raevanna an earpiece.

"Good," Tony said. "Let's see what we got." Then he flew up in his Iron Man suit, getting close to the damaged engine. "I gotta get this super conducting cooling system back online before I can access the rotors and work on dislodging the debris," he muttered. At those words, Tony began pulling on the stuck rotors. Then, he looked over at Steve and Raevanna, pointing to the panel across the broken pathway as he said, "I need you two to get to that engine control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position."

As Tony flew into the giant cooling conductors, Raevanna sucked in a breath and flew across the gap, ignoring the blinding pain in her side. Steve jumped over to the other side of the broken railing as well, then went over to the control panel and slid it open. However, Steve frowned in confusion when he saw the dozens of electrical circuits and flashing lights.

"What's it look like in there?" Tony asked.

Steve threw his hand in the air in exasperation. "It seems to run on some form of electricity," he said with a huff.

"Well, you're not wrong," Tony told him.

"Steve, look." Raevanna pointed to a few of the circuits. "These are the overlays. Looks like they're still operational."

Steve furrowed his brow at her. "When did you learn that that's what these are?"

Raevanna shrugged. "Natasha." When Steve frowned even further, Raevanna looked at him. "What, you think all she taught me was how to fight?"

Steve just shook his head, deciding to ask her about it later. So he instead addressed Tony, telling him, "The relays are intact. What's our next move?"