Hope

4 days later

Astrid's POV

Over the last couple of days, it was the same routine.

I woke up. Ate and drank. Got dragged to Viggo. Refused to give information. The knife. How I hated that knife. Then became unconscious. Got dragged back to my cell. Repeat.

It was the fourth day of this routine that I got hope. 

'Astrid. We're here. Me and Heather. Toothless is here, too. Don't lose hope.'

I found myself wanting to cry with joy, but no tears came. The limited water I was given was used to keep me alive, not cry. 

Hiccup.

My light. My sun at the end of an endless night.

I held onto the bound like a lifeline.

This time when I was brought in front of Viggo, I stood tall and proud. When he asked me the same questions again, I stared him down. My fire, that had been dying, flared into life, burning stronger than ever. I had hope. My fiancé had come for me. My love, my hope, my strength.

Toothless's POV

"Finally! I got through!"

"So, are we ready to start the next step of our plan?"

"I don't know. The timing has to be perfect. So much could go wrong."

"Toothless, we know. We know the risks, but it's all we have," Heather said.

"No. You're right. We know the risks. But, we need information. We don't know where Astrid and Stormfly are kept..."

"I'll try to get through to her. It might help with whatever Viggo is doing to her. When I get my claws on him-" He said as he shifted so that he was covered in scales, had wings and claws.

"Woah! Hiccup!" Windshear shouted.

He took a shuddering breath while returning to normal.

"It's okay, Hiccup. We'll get her back," Heather said as she placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I know. I'll do anything to get her back."

"And we won't stop until she's safe. Until they're both safe."

"Heather and I will go scout some more."

I watched as Windshear and Heather left.

Hiccup and I stayed silent for a while. I watched him walk over to the edge of the ledge. He sat down before hugging his knees and staring at the ice fort.

I walked up to him and sat beside him.

"What if we're too late? I'm not ready to live without her. They promised that I'd have time." He stood up and paced. "That I could have that time that-" He broke off. What? What does he mean that they promised him time? Who is 'they'? 

"Hiccup, what are you talking about? Who's 'they'? What aren't you telling me?"

"What? Oh. Nothing." He replied quietly. "I'm just scared."

"Hiccup. I get it. Your soulmate is down there. Do you know how rare that is? To have a soulmate?"

"What do you mean? I thought you and Sky are soulmates. Same with mom and Frost."

"No. I love Sky. Mom and Frost thought they were soulmates, but..." I shook my head. "I know it. You and Astrid are soulmates. It's the bond you two have. How you can hear each other's thoughts and feel each other's feelings. I don't have that. Mom doesn't have it. You're the only one I've ever met who has it. Well, you and Astrid."

"What about Streak and Trillium?"

"I don't know. They seem to just be able to understand each other and know what the other is thinking. I didn't get the sense that they were soulmates, though."

"Wow. That is brand new information. I thought everyone had a soulmate, including Vikings."

"Nah. Vikings don't really have soulmates. There isn't a lot known about soulmates, but we know that it's mostly specific to dragons. I feel like it's maybe a way that the Gods use to ask for forgiveness. I mean, not everyone can have a great life. Maybe they want to give you that one perfect thing in your life."

"Ya," he said quietly and turned away. I couldn't help wondering what he was thinking.

We sat in silence for a couple of minutes before Hiccup said, "Toothless? Can I tell you something?"

"Hiccup. You know you can tell me anything, right?" He nodded.

He opened his mouth to say something when Windshear and Heather returned. He immediately sat down and started drawing in the snow with a stick.

So apparently whatever he was going to say will have to wait.

"Well, guess what!" Heather said happily.

"What?" Hiccup asked somewhat miserably. What the-? Is he going through mood swings? First, he's happy, then he's mad, then he's tense, then he's just quiet, and now he's sad? That all happened in like an hour!

"Windshear and I managed to catch Astrid being brought back to her cell. She was being dragged back, so I think she was unconscious, but we know where she's being held."

"She was unconscious!" He snarled while shifting. "Viggo is going to pay for this."

"Hiccup."

"When I get my claws on him-"

"Hiccup," I snarled.

"He's going to rue the day he captured and hurt-"

"HICCUP! I roared while blasting the ground in front of him.

He curled up away from me. I saw that he was shaking and backing away from me. He was hissing slightly and held his front left paw off the ground slightly.

"Hiccup..." I said regretfully. "I did-dn't mean to. I'd-I'm sorry." I lowered my head in shame.

"Can I see it?" Heather asked gently. I didn't see what happened next, as I'd curled my tail around myself. Why did I do that? Why?

I kept asking myself why I'd done it, that it took me a moment to realize that there was a warm presence curled beside me.

"It's okay, Toothless. I know you'd never mean to hurt me. I know you were just trying to help me and snap me out of my rage. But, man, do plasmablasts hurt!"

"Are you sure?"

"Haven't we gone over this already? I will always forgive you."

"I don't deserve you."

He muttered something that I didn't quite catch.

"What was that?"

"Oh. Nevermind. Just forget about it."

"I really am sorry, Hiccup."

He just smiled at me, "I know."