Family Matters

Arvid's POV

I could only stare at Vera and Arvid as the situation sunk in. They were really here. 

"Lokicrest became friends with the dragons, so we left with them," I explained as she pulled back.

"Can you tell your idiot of a brother to let me help out?" she asked me with a pout.

I sighed. "Vera, look, I get that you want to help, but how would you feel if you hurt your baby?" I questioned her.

Her face fell. "I didn't think of that... I just... I feel so useless..." she stated.

"I know, Shadow..." Trygve said as he hugged her from behind. "How about we go introduce Arvid to Itri?"

She smiled. "Yeah, let's do that."

I could only stare at them in confusion. "Who's Itri?" I asked.

Vera smiled brightly. "You'll see," she responded cryptically. She started walking through the village, humming a little melody. "So, how have you and Solfrid been?" Vera asked eventually. "Have you gotten together yet?"

I nearly choked on my spit. "How did you know?" I replied while Trygve stared in shock.

"There! Now you owe me!" she shouted triumphantly at Trygve, who grumbled under his breath. "And you're lucky Arvy talked me out of building huts."

"Arvy?" I demanded in confusion.

"I give all my favourite people and dragons nicknames. Except for Night and Trygve, you can't really shorten that," she stated. "And from now on, I'm calling you Arvy." Trygve laughed at me.

"We're planning on getting married in the summer," I told them.

"So, she'll be the Chieftess?" Vera asked.

"Honestly, how do you know these things?" I demanded.

It was Night's turn to laugh. "My little sister knows everything. She even managed to set me up with my mate," he said.

"I remember that! You nearly screwed it up, though!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, rub it in my face," he grumbled. 

"Oh, shove off! Pregnant dragoness right here!" she replied as she jokingly elbowed Night's shoulder. He let out a rumbling laugh.

I couldn't help the smile that crept onto my face. Vera was so free. The last time I had seen her, her eyes had been clear, much clearer than when we had first met, but I hadn't actually seen her act like this. Like she was at home with the world.

"She's forgiven herself for her brother's death," Trygve said as he dropped back beside me. "It was driving her mad."

"I forgot that her brother died," I replied. He shrugged.

"The whole thing is complicated. He was mind-controlled," Trygve said as he gestured towards Night. "The thing in his mind tore out Blackmoon's throat. She couldn't do anything."

"Blackmoon forgave me," Vera said suddenly. Trygve looked at her in surprise. "It was back on Lokicrest. I was so close to dying..." A tear fell down her cheek. "He said he was proud of me." She let out a small laugh. "He also called you stunning, Trygve."

Trygve wrapped his arms around her. "It's okay, Shadow," he whispered.

"No, no, I'm fine. I'm fine. I hate being pregnant. Aurora was so much easier," she remarked as she wiped the tears away. "I hate the stupid hormones and the uselessness! I can't even shift," she snapped, her lips curling into a snarl. She closed her eyes for a minute as she breathed in deeply before letting out a long breath.