Johann's Fate

Hiccup's POV

"But dad!" Osmund complained. 

"Osmund Haddock. You may be 18 years old now, but that doesn't mean that you can do that to your siblings!" 

"I didn't mean it, dad!" he pleaded with me. "And you and Auntie Delta yell at each other all the time!"

"This isn't about us!"

"But why can you two be mean to each other and-"

"Because I'm trying to stop you from making the same mistakes I did!"

"What mistakes?" he asked me quietly.

"Delta and I had a severe argument a long time ago. You know the story of how I returned to the Hidden World after five years, right?" He nodded. "Well, your Uncle Toothless and Auntie Delta yelled at me when I returned."

"But don't you love Uncle Toothless?"

"I do. I love Delta, too," I replied softly.

"Then why-?"

"She and Toothless both called me a lot of bad things. Just like the things you called Zeph and Fink. Delta never apologized for the things she called me. But every day I wish that I could go back. I wish that I could make things better between us. What we once had... that friendship... it's broken. I don't ever want that for you and Zeph and Fink. I want you always to love each other."

"Oh. So Uncle Toothless apologized, but Auntie Delta didn't?" I nodded. "So the two of you hate each other, because of a stupid argument that festered?"

"I wouldn't call it a stupid argument, but yes."

"So you're saying I need to apologize. To prevent that?"

"No. I'm saying you need to apologize, make it up to them and never do it again."

"That makes sense," he replied.

"You should probably give them a little more time to calm down, though. So go up to your room and apologize in the morning, okay?" He nodded quickly before rushing up the stairs.

I heard his door shut before I walked to the table. I pulled a letter out. A letter I had written months ago but had never had sent. I read it and reread it over and over again.

An apology. One that I could never hope to say out loud. I felt Astrid's arms wrap around my waist.

I smiled before turning around.

"What are you doing?" she asked me.

"Debating whether or not to send this letter."

"Who's it for?"

I rubbed my forehead. "Delta. An apology for what I said to her."

Her eyebrows shot up. "You're trying to repair what is between you?"

"I think it might be too late. But... I'm not going to let it get worse through my actions..." I turned away again.

"I can give it to her if you want?"

"You would do that?"

"Hiccup! I want you two to stop fighting and be friends again!"

 "Thanks. I don't know what I would do without you."

"Well... you would probably be dead because the hunters would have killed you!" I laughed with her as she grinned.

"Definitely," I agreed.