Heiress

Dreamchaser's POV

"Shadowfire." My voice felt and sounded dry. 

"Dreamchaser?" I nodded numbly.

"You're here."

He gave me a crooked smile, "Obviously."

"You're here!" I was crying. "I thought I'd never see you again!"

"Dreamchaser-"

"And. And. I thought I would never know how you felt about me."

"Dreamchaser-"

"And. I love you." I couldn't stop crying. 

"Dreamchaser. I love you, too." She nodded.

"I know."

"How?" He looked extremely confused and it made me smile.

"Vera told me."

"Who's Vera?"

"My cousin."

"And how did she know?"

"She was the dragon-shifter you met and saved you from the trap a couple months ago."

"Seriously!" I nodded.

"So... What have you been up to?" I asked shyly. 

For the next several hours we talked about all that we had missed in each other's lives.

"So how come I've never met Vera?"

"For the same reason, you haven't met Osmund, Zephyr, Nuffink, Nightengale, Night, Blackmoon, Stardust, Shadowfrost and Amber!"

"Who?"

"They're my cousins. Well... Technically, only Stardust and Shadowfrost are my cousins but my Uncle Hiccup and Auntie Delta were adopted making Osmund, Zephyr, Nuffink, Nightengale, Night, Blackmoon, and Vera my cousins. And then there's Amber, whom my Aunt Mist and Auntie E adopted. And technically my Aunt Mist is my Aunt Trillium's sister who is my Uncle Streak's mate which would technically mean that we 'aren't' related but I still call them my Aunts and Amber my cousin even though I used to be afraid of her, so yeah." He gave me a weird look and blinked. "What?"

"That. Is the most complicated family I have ever heard of."

"Please! That isn't even the most confusing part. There's also my Aunt Ash who is part of my Aunta's flock because she was pushed out of her own and then there's also my Grandmama who was adopted by my Grandma because Grandma's mate was a Muttonhead and left her to raise all four of her children alone as well as my Uncle Hiccup and Aunt Heather and Aunt Windshear. And my Uncle Hiccup is the dragon prince and my Auntie Delta is the dragon princess. Oh and there's the fact that my Aunt Heather is human and that my Aunt Windshear is a Razorwhip and that Amber is a Night Song and that Shadowfrost and Stardust are Dawn Furies (Night Lights) and that my Aunt Trillium and Aunt Mist are Light Furies and my Uncle Rowan is human and my Uncle Forestflame is a Snifflehunch." I took a huge breath. "And my Aunt Ash is a grey Changewing. I think I'm forgetting something... Ah! Right! Also, Vera and Nightengale can become human."

He stood there stunned. I waved my wing in front of him.

"How do you keep track of that all!"

"Ummm... Hello? I'm 19!"

"Right. I can't believe the last time we saw each other was eight years ago."