Despair

Rowan's POV

There was a loud bang from downstairs. I frowned as I looked at Forestflame. "It's almost midnight," answering my unasked question.

"I wonder who it is?" I told him as I made my way down to the main floor. We found Night, Falcon, Aurora and another Night Fury waiting for us.

"Night... what are you doing?" I asked in exasperation.

"Dwagween thwis ovwagwon hatchwing twoo you," he mumbled. I raised my brows as I deciphered the mumbled sentence.

"What are you doing here?" The Night Fury whacked Night on the head with her tail as she stood up. "VERA?" I demanded as she turned to face us. "What-? But-? How-?" I stood there gaping.

"Nevermind that, she has a nasty burn," Forestflame hissed.

My eyes immediately went to her side, where the burn was. "We'll deal with that. You tell us how this happened," I replied as I got the salve.

Vera sat there stoically as I applied the salve. "Mind explaining where you've been for the past three months?"

"Lokicrest," she replied swiftly. She looked down at her paws as she said the word.

"And you didn't return because..." I asked her.

She shrugged slightly. "I forgot 'bout the last three years." She gave a sidelong glance at Aurora, hidden with meaning. She'd forgotten her own daughter, I realized.

"There must've been something else..." Night stated. "You would've still come home if there wasn't something else."

She shrugged. "Don't wanna talk about it," she stated.

"It's okay, Ma," Aurora stated as she cuddled her mother. Vera gave Aurora a faint smile.

"C'mon, Rora," I said as I brought her upstairs, with Forestflame following quickly behind us. 

Forestflame fell asleep with Aurora and me, lying against him.

Night's POV

I watched the three of them go upstairs as Vera continued to sit.

I shared a glance with Falcon, who said, "I'll see both of you later." I nodded as he flew back home.

I nudged Vera. "Let's go for a walk," I told her. She followed without complaint. After several minutes of silence, I said, "Why are you sad?"

I had long given up hope of her talking to me when she said, "Trygve." I gave her a look, so she explained. "His name is Trygve. I met him shortly after... He freed me from the chains, and we became friends."

"Is he why you didn't come back sooner?" I asked her. 

She nodded. "The day I left... we kissed. And... I... But... Aurora..." I frowned.

"What happened?" I asked.

She sat down and scratched at the ground. "He and I... the bond... hunter..."

I paused before something clicked. "He's your soulmate," I said in awe. She winced at the last word but nodded. "That's great!" I told her.

She didn't meet my eyes. "He's a dragon hunter," she stated.

"Oh. I see the problem..." I told her. She nodded. Silence reigned as we sat there.